June 10, 2004
BASEBALL: EWSL - The Pitchers

When I started the Established Win Shares project, I ran a list of the top 25 players in baseball by EWSL. But there were no pitchers, and it was justifiably asked, who are the top-ranked pitchers? Well, having covered all the teams, I can now line them up (I broke ties by age rather than pore over the decimal places as I did with the original list):

RankPlayerEWSLPos.TeamAge
17TRuss Ortiz15SPATL30
17TDerek Lowe15SPBOS31
17TMariano Rivera15RPNYY34
17THideo Nomo15SPLA35
17TJohn Smoltz15RPATL37
17TGreg Maddux15SPCHN38

Hey, I was as surprised at some of these names as you are . . . you can really see the domination of a few teams (Red Sox, A's, Yankees) on this list.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 7:08 AM | Baseball 2004 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Those A's have some staff, don't they? Reminds me of the Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz days of the Bravos.

I am surprised that Ortiz is the highest ranking Braves starting pitcher. I would have assumed Thompson would be.

Posted by: Gerry at June 10, 2004 10:29 AM

Interesting that the top 2 pitchers of '04 (Clemens/Unit) are old & didn't make the cut.

Posted by: Ricky at June 10, 2004 1:12 PM

Must be quite an anomoly that ranks Kim ahead of Wakefield and Leaves Clemens off the list.

That being said it is interesting to see the small amount of Yankees on the list. If Boston overtakes them or Oakland eliminates them this year it will explain much

Posted by: P. Ingemi at June 10, 2004 3:01 PM

Mariano Rivera below Byung-Hyun Kim and tied with Mark Buehrle, Hideo Nomo? Are you kidding me? Another useless stat.

Posted by: Nick at June 10, 2004 4:45 PM

Posted by: Nick at June 10, 2004 4:45 PM

No offence Crank, but I think your formula is going to need a little tweeking before next season. Too much of EWSL is based on blind guesses for it to be effective. In this current form it is pretty much useless.

Posted by: Richard at June 10, 2004 8:55 PM

Let me clarify: The formula needs to be tweeked for the team projections, not the individual players. You need a way to accurately project players with less then three years of experience, or else the whole thing is kind of pointless.

Posted by: Richard at June 10, 2004 9:06 PM