October 21, 2004
BASEBALL: Aftermath

It's gonna be a long, angry and expensive off-season for the Yankees. If George fires Cashman, the Mets should immediately sack the rest of their front office and hire him. But there will be plenty of time for recriminations. For now, it's just enough to savor a remarkable comeback. Check out my live blog of Game Seven below.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:14 AM | Baseball 2004 | Comments (9) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I thought Omar Minaya is now The Man at Shea. Is there room for both him and Cashman?

Posted by: Allah at October 21, 2004 12:23 AM

Y'know I totally agree. If Cashman becomes available the Mets should snatch him up in a heartbeat, even if it means letting Minaya and all his associates go.

Posted by: Jay at October 21, 2004 1:30 AM

Fox needs to take a camera, put it in Steinbrenner's office this winter and make a reality TV show out of the ensuing mayhem.

Posted by: C Giddy at October 21, 2004 8:49 AM

Allah - I'd fire Minaya in a heartbeat to get Cashman.

Giddy - That's the best idea you've had. I'd pay to see that.

Posted by: The Crank at October 21, 2004 9:24 AM

Ha! Mariner fans are enjoying the Curse of the A-Rod:

Posted by: Patrick R. Sullivan at October 21, 2004 9:49 AM

How good is Cashman, really?

Over the last four seasons:

2001 Lose Series to Arizona
2002 Lose playoffs to Angels
2003 Lose Series to Miami
2004 Lose playoffs to Red Sox

The start of the decline? You bet. and this team has not gotten younger in any sense of the word. Vasquez and A-Rod are the only guys on the right side of thirty (and they'll be 29 and 30 next season).

Now, obviously the Yanks won the Division each of those years, and were widely regarded as the Best Team in Baseball every one of those years, so some credit is due...but was it Cashman?

The original home-grown core of team, was already in place for him, and attracting free agents to a team with unlimited financial resources and four Championships isn't really a challenge, nor does it require any creativity. He simply opened the checkbook for the prominent free agent or mercenary player of the year.

The final results of the last four years I noted above make it likely he'll be available (because Steinbrenner is a maniac), but I'm not so sure Cashman's all he's cracked up to be. You guys want him? You can have him.

Steinbrenner will make Beltran his new GM's number one target. I hope Beltran looks at this declining Yankee "dynasty" and says, "No thanks, Houston's been a blast, I'm staying here.

Posted by: Mr Furious at October 21, 2004 2:22 PM

Cashman may well be overrated, but he has made some shrewd decisions. I'd take him over Minaya or Name That Duquette any day.

Posted by: The Crank at October 21, 2004 3:29 PM

All I'm saying is that he is overrated. He might be an improvement over many GMs in the League, but to believe that his arrival in the front office directly results in any substantial improvement for most teams, especially a rebuilding team, is folly.

Cashman has as much, if not more, to prove as a first-time GM. So don't overpay for him or expect too much from him.

Posted by: Mr Furious at October 21, 2004 4:58 PM

The Mets have a similarly bloated budget, and if they could actually win a few games, would have an even more obscene green to spend. Ditto for the pre-Epstein Red Sox, the Fox-era Dodgers, the Bavasi-era Mariners, the Orioles throughout the last decade, &c., &c. &c. The fact is that it's entirely possible for anybody to spend a big budget. What's not easy is to make shrewd decisions about whom to hire. They have not signed Albert Belle. They have not signed Griffey, Jr. They have not signed Mike Hampton. I could go on.

Posted by: Rob McMIllin at October 21, 2004 6:51 PM