October 11, 2004
BASEBALL: Houston, We Have Liftoff

After a 42-year wait and more heartbreaking playoff losses than you can count, the Astros are apparently, at long last, about to win a postseason series. Of course, nothing was more epic than their first two losses, the 1980 series (following their victory in the 1-game playoff with the Dodgers) that concluded a best of 5 series against the Phillies with four consecutive extra inning games, and the 1986 classic with the Mets, with a walk-off homer in Game Three, a 12-inning heart-stopper in Game Five (with Nolan Ryan matching Doc Gooden with a 2-hit 12-K performance despite breaking his ankle in the third inning) and the unforgettable 16-inning seesaw affair in Game Six. And, of course, I'm glad to see Bagwell and Biggio finally taste some success in October.

It's wierd to see Jose Vizcaino out there; it seems like a generation ago that he was with the Mets (I was still in law school then), and he was neither outstandingly good nor outstandingly young then. . . am I the only one who keeps expecting Lance Berkman to break into an ad for Little Chocolate Donuts?

Posted by Baseball Crank at 11:26 PM | Baseball 2004 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

And my Braves choke again. Ugh.

Posted by: Jeremy at October 12, 2004 1:22 AM

Man, Oswalt was tough until he ran out of gas. Good to see a lowly regarded Braves team have such a great season, but the bullpen looked wretched.

Posted by: Ricky at October 12, 2004 6:58 AM

What a night. What a season.

I've been an Astros fan since I was too young to know that "getting to second base" could mean anything other than hitting a double. It's been a long time coming.

Posted by: Drew at October 12, 2004 11:18 AM

Good to see the 'stros win a post season series. I've been a fan since we took the weekend trips to the Astrodome as a kid. What great memories playing American Legion ball and dreaming of being in the major leagues.

Go Astros!

Posted by: roux at October 12, 2004 11:51 AM

Hi! Wonderful website you have! 1986 actually was Houston's 3rd trip to the post-season. The Astros also played the Dodgers in the 1981 NLDS.

I have rooted for the Astros in all of their post-season series except those against the 1981 Dodgers and the 1998 Padres. I am glad to see the Astros finally win a post-season series. With a last name of Bejach, I must root for the Killer B's!

Posted by: Jeff Bejach at October 12, 2004 2:40 PM