January 4, 2005
BASEBALL: Boggs and Sandberg

Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg get the nod to Cooperstown. Bruce Sutter also reached 2/3 of the vote, which likely puts him in next year. Scandalously, Goose Gossage got just 55% of the vote, and Bert Blyleven is not even among the top candidates listed by ESPN.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 2:09 PM | Baseball 2005 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Full results from the HOF.

Blyleven was seventh. Behind Andre Dawson, still, but moving ahead of Lee Smith, up to forty percent of the vote.

Willie McGee stays on the ballot?

Posted by: Mac Thomason at January 4, 2005 2:31 PM

Well, it was a big step up for Gossage, from 40% last year. Next year promises to be interesting; the best new candidate is Will Clark.

Posted by: Devin McCullen at January 4, 2005 2:51 PM

What might have been - Darryl Strawberry, six votes.

With no good candidates joinging the ballot next year, I think Sutter, Gossage, Rice and Dawson all have a shot.

Posted by: Jerry at January 4, 2005 2:58 PM

Once you're over 50% of the vote, you're pretty much going to get in someday unless you pull a Pete Rose--either the writers or the Veteran's Committee will do the honors. Personally, I think it was a travesty that Sandberg had to wait until his third year to get in.

Posted by: M. Scott Eiland at January 4, 2005 3:37 PM

Yep. I still get a chuckle from Mr. Wade (I put my girlfriend in the playrs' wive section on the away games) Bogg.

Posted by: BigFire at January 4, 2005 3:40 PM

I'm certainly relieved that Ryne Sandberg finally got in, but I have a larger question. What will Joe Morgan with his free time now that Sandberg is in. I've never seen such an odd vendetta from someone who shouldn't feel threatened by Sandberg's entry into the Hall anyway.

Posted by: Robert Betts at January 5, 2005 10:40 PM

OK, I confess that I no longer have any brain cells dedicated to following Joe Morgan's opinions . . . I'd be amused to know Morgan's knocks on Sandberg, since they are unlikely to be the right ones (i.e., his relatively low OBPs and the benefits of Wrigley).

Posted by: The Crank at January 6, 2005 10:27 AM