June 15, 2005
BASEBALL: Amazing Stat of the Day

In the past 365 days, Jim Edmonds has hit into one double play. Among players with 502 plate appearances (enough to qualify for a batting title) over that stretch, the top 6 guys in fewest GIDP are Edmonds and Carl Crawford (1 each), Ichiro (2), Bobby Abreu, Jimmy Rollins and Kevin Mench (3 each). Other than Mench, that group is three speed merchants, a fleet-footed slugger, and Edmonds - a 35-year-old power hitter with a long injury rap sheet. Very impressive. Plus, he's batting .309/.647/.431, ranking him first in the majors in slugging and fourth in OBP for that stretch. Gotta take your hat off to the man. To be more specific, gotta vote for him for the All-Star Team. The third OF spot may be tough; Beltran is tempting for a Mets fan - though I'd rather he have the days off - but Giles, Dunn, Drew and Cabrera are also worthy contenders; I probably vote for Giles. (I regard Bonds' injury as giving me an excuse not to feel compelled to vote for him). But the top two outfielders in the NL shouldn't be hard: Abreu and Edmonds.

UPDATE: The rest of my NL All-Star Ballot, off the top of my head: Pujols over Derrek Lee at 1B, Kent at 2B, Khalil Greene at SS, David Wright over the injured Chipper at 3B, and I'm voting for Piazza at C but I can't blame you if you vote for Johnny Estrada.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 7:14 PM | Baseball 2005 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (1)
Comments

It is a real testament to Lee performance this season that he rates consideration. If someone mentioned NL 1B in February would Lee have even come to mind let alone be mentioned in same sentence as Pujols?

Sentimentally I have to go with Omar for SS. Who else on the Giants merits consideration?

The Indians had five players (Martinez, Belliard, Sabathia, Westbrook and Lawton) in last years All Star game. This year their record is a few games better than at this point last year. This years team likely will have one representative unless something weird happens in the next couple weeks. No one is standing out as deserving (Maybe Sizemore)

Posted by: LargeBill at June 16, 2005 12:33 AM

Greene at SS? Since the middle of last year, he has missed numerous games and has not played at a particularly high level. I think SS probably has to be Eckstein, though Lopez of Cincinnati really deserves consideration as well.

Posted by: Richard at June 16, 2005 1:19 AM

I wonder how you can vote for Pujols over Lee, unless you're considering the last half of 2004 as merit for the 2005 All-Star game.

Lee crushes Pujols and all of baseball in OPS, and if the season ended today he'd be a triple crown winner. He also leads the league in slugging and runs. On top of that, he's a 1B who can run, and Pujols has 2 more errors. Pujols plays on a better team, which makes Lee's performance all the more impressive. I think it should be Lee by a landslide.

Posted by: Paul at June 16, 2005 10:14 AM

I definitely consider more than the current season. To my mind, a guy like Pujols who's one of the two or three best players in baseball is the All-Star unless you just totally blow him out of the water. It's the Willie Mays test: if you looked back and saw that in the middle of his career Willie had finished behind some journeyman who was hitting .370 in early June, wouldn't that seem silly? Lee's a very good player, but c'mon, even if they were both free agents after the season you would not trade Pujols for Lee just for this year.

I could see Rollins over Greene, although Greene is (1) a heck of a glove man and (2) plays in a severe pitchers' park (check the guy's home/road splits some time). Omar? Way past his prime.

Posted by: The Crank at June 16, 2005 10:28 AM

I see your point about Pujols, but in this case I really do think Lee is blowing everyone out of the water. He's beating Pujols by 122 points in slugging. Leading the league in avg, obp, slg, hr, rbi, runs, hits and total bases. How much more can a guy do? So yes, Pujols is having another great year. Perennial All-Stars are good to some extent, but having a few one-hit wonders (if that's what Lee turns out to be) is refreshing. Pujols will be on the team no matter what, it's just a question of whether a guy like Lee should get the honor of starting.

Posted by: Paul at June 16, 2005 12:02 PM

Not grounding into double plays is great, but how many times are these guys batting with runners on first and less than two outs? It makes Edmonds feat all the more impressive when he's being compared to leadoff hitters and a guy (Abreu) who strikes out so much with runners on that it negates the avoided DP's

Posted by: Bensdad at June 17, 2005 12:22 AM

Well, the thing about Edmonds is that he has that uppercut swing so most of the time if he doesn't pop it up for a homer or a flyball, it's a SO. That's just the nature of his swing.

Posted by: Tan The Man at June 18, 2005 10:15 PM