January 23, 2006
POLITICS: Right Wing News 2008 GOP Blogger Poll

John Hawkins has posted the results of his poll of conservative bloggers' preferred 2008 candidates. The top three most wanted and most unwanted, by percentage of the vote:

The Top 3 Most Desired Candidates

3) George Allen (42.0)
2) Rudy Giuliani (58.0)
1) Condoleeza Rice (65.5)

The 3 Least Desired Candidates

3) Bill Frist (43.5)
2) Chuck Hagel (55.5)
1) John McCain (74.5)

Read the whole thing. The top 3 most-wanted are pretty much in the order I voted them, although I remain substantially subject to persuasion on their merits, especially Rudy and Allen. I also voted for Frist and Hagel among the least-wanted (along with Newt and Tancredo; I didn't even bother voting against Pataki), but I'm much more accepting of McCain as the nominee.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:44 AM | Politics 2008 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Crank,

The least desired is definitely correct. As for the most desired, I think Allen is the only one of the three that will run. Condi has firmly stated she is not going to run. Rudy may harbor desires to run but will decide before 2007 that he is not a viable candidate.

Posted by: LargeBill at January 23, 2006 10:34 AM

Call me a cynic, but I wonder what Rice's numbers would look like if she'd been less categorical in her demurral.

Posted by: seamus at January 23, 2006 11:05 AM

I really like Allen. I believe he is someone that all Conservatives can get behind. He seems to have a good message for the future of the country and I would like to hear a lot more from him on the issues that are facing the country.

Posted by: maddirishman at January 23, 2006 11:23 AM

Interesting that my governor Mitt Romney didn't make either list.

Just as well. His resume is quite limited: he was never relected; his record in statewide races is 1-1.

After his recruits were routed in mid-term local races, he pouted for about a year. Now that he announced he's not running again, he's showing some enthusasm, but he's also a lame duck.

I voted for him in 2002 but I think most people in MA would agree that he was a disappointment.

Posted by: pat_rick at January 23, 2006 1:03 PM

Romney just doesn't excite most people - I see no strong objection to him, other than concerns that his short tenure in public office makes him a bit of a Republican John Edwards, but there are just other people with better positives.

Posted by: The Crank at January 23, 2006 9:08 PM

Condi is my dream candidate, but she's so firm that she will not run I suspect there's a good reason. Maybe there is something in her past she doesn't want splashed all over the newspapers, or perhaps she just doesn't want to do 2 years of 22 hour days campaigning and eating rubber chicken.

She'd be perfect though, first black, first woman, and a Republican to boot. She's sharp as a razor too.

Maybe someone will talk her into running as VP.

Posted by: Dwilkers at January 24, 2006 12:07 PM