February 23, 2006
POLITICS: Nominating Veterans

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. But then, I've said that already.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:17 PM | Politics 2006 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Being a veteran is commendable. However, were I to run for office (and I'm not) I wouldn't expect people to vote for me because I was in the Navy. People still want to know your positions on the issues of the day. Simply serving doesn't equate to high quality. I knew folks in the Navy who were fantastic, but I also knew quite a few who couldn't be trusted to get the job done (any job).

Posted by: LargeBill at February 24, 2006 10:19 AM

Being a veteran is certainly a plus, I just don't think it's a substitute for having a well-thought-out philosophy of foreign affairs, any more than being a successful lineman - or even a successful QB - makes you automatically qualified to be an NFL head coach.

Posted by: The Crank at February 24, 2006 10:37 AM

Veterans of the current war obviously do have some additional credibility if they choose to support it or criticize it - after all, they've been there. But of course, all politics is local, and having spent the last few years in Iraq doesn't particularly qualify one to address local concerns.

If the candidate is a veteran of other wars, it's a positive bullet point on the resume, but it certainly is not a reason to elect someone in and of itself.

Originally posted by Jerry, accidentally deleted in the latest flurry of spam

Posted by: The Crank at February 27, 2006 6:40 AM

I think we can all see that if Max Cleland doesn't get a break, no Veteran will. I agree that Dems should worry less about running veterans and more about trying to make fewer of them by getting us out of this Bush mess.

Posted by: AstrosFan at February 27, 2006 3:57 PM

Cleland is a fine example - people respected his heroism, but they weren't willing to give him a pass on the issues as a result.

Posted by: The Crank at February 27, 2006 4:12 PM