March 16, 2006
BASEBALL: Perfect Mediocrity

I was looking over the Baseball Prospectus PECOTA projection depth charts, and noticed the projected records of the Orioles starters for this year: Bruce Chen 11-11, Rodrigo Lopez 11-11, Daniel Cabrera 10-11, Kris Benson 10-11, Erik Bedard 10-10.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:03 AM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Does this mean we can assume the Orioles will go 80-82?

Posted by: Nate at March 16, 2006 11:02 AM

I wonder if a .500 record for a pitcher is mediocre. No seriously. I haven't studied it, but I think that the "average" pitcher has a record under .500.

Top pitchers all have records like 18-7, something like that, then the relievers lose a bunch of games. Since somehow the W-L has to balance at .500, there must be more pitchers under .500 than over. So the so called average is probably somewhere like 9-11, or maybe 8-12, and not 10-10

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at March 16, 2006 11:20 AM

as an O's fan, life's been miserable for years but I am actually optimistic about our pitching staff's potential - I think everyone you listed has considerable upside...and along w/Chris Ray, well, I'm not unhappy.....this is unlike prev. years when going into the season everyone knew Ponson was a loser and that Armando-then-Julio were just conduits for heart-breaking HRs

Posted by: Maryland Conservatarian at March 16, 2006 2:20 PM

Kris Benson's upside is limited to the hotness of his wife.

Posted by: jim at March 16, 2006 3:42 PM

If Leo's teachings have helped the Koreans in the WBC then maybe the O's have a chance.

Posted by: Nate at March 16, 2006 5:58 PM

Does that reflect on the pitchers or on the offense? If the pitchers all manage sub 4.50 ERA (wild guess, I don't have access to PECOTA) doesn't it mean that the offense is pretty pathetic?

Posted by: soccer dad at March 17, 2006 12:26 PM