April 4, 2006
BASEBALL: Taking It Too Far

Fan in San Diego throws a syringe at Barry Bonds. There's no excuse or defense for that.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:07 AM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Even without a needle? I haven't been in a doctor's office in a long time (knock wood), but I recall that the syringe itself is a pretty flimsy thing. Am I missing something here, or is the symbolic protest what you're objecting to?

Posted by: Jack Roy at April 4, 2006 11:41 AM

I don't think it matters whether the syringe had a needle or was made of mylar and helium. Fans should never throw things at players or on the field at all. It has nothig to do with the symbolism of the protest, which I applaud. In fact, I wholeheartedly enjoyed the guy holding the giant asterick sign in the stands. Had he thrown it as Bonds, that would be a whole other issue.

Posted by: The Deuce at April 4, 2006 12:13 PM

This event hardly qualifies as an outrage for the ages, but I have to agree with Deuce here: no fans on the field, no stuff from the stands on the field . . . and no players in the stands.

Zero tolerance all around on these, if I'm the Commish. Wanna go on the field? Be my guest, and we'll escort to you to your night in stir via the players-only tunnel. Enjoy!

Posted by: Mike at April 4, 2006 12:19 PM

Small syringe or big ball, or rock or snowball, does not matter. If you are unhappy about Bonds on the field, then the most eloquent statement is to not pay your money to be there. Empty seats, loss of revenue, the owners would indeed do something, as well they should.

Feel like going, but want to make a statement? Then bring a sign, and say something that catches the eye but is responsible, like: Bonds 715* or just a big *

But to throw something on the field? Arrest him and do it every time, that's what I say. That said, if anyone can actually throw an empty plastic syringe any distance, for any kind of accuracy, I would sign him to a contract. He could probably give Zambrano control lessons.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at April 4, 2006 12:52 PM

It's not acceptable for anything to be thrown onto the field, not even a nerf ball, no matter who the player is.

Posted by: rbj at April 4, 2006 1:07 PM

Agreed: It's not acceptable for anything to be thrown onto the field. Mike, interesting comment, "and no players in the stands." Followed by "Wanna go on the field? Be my guest, and we'll escort to you to your night in stir via the players-only tunnel." Question, does the street justice work both ways? Should the Dodgers have been assaulted for invading the stands for a hat? That type of thinking is prevalent on ESPN, talking heads like Michael Wilbon seem to get off on it. What you suggest is as cowardly as that despicable attack on Gamboa. Frank Francisco shed an innocence woman's blood; maybe her family should have staked out the players parking lot? Team hotel? Good for the Gossage...

Posted by: abe at April 4, 2006 4:36 PM

Abe-

Huh? You lost me. Where'd I suggest "street justice"? I said that fans who go on the field should go to jail ("stir" is slang for "jail"). I didn't say it, because it seemed obvious, but players who go into the stands should also go to jail.

Not sure how theWilliam Ligue Jr., and son, fiasco fits into my comment.

Posted by: Mike at April 4, 2006 5:00 PM

By the way, speaking of things "too far" (gone, that is), Anna Benson apparently doesn't wanna get divorced now.

She changed her mind after thinking it over this past weekend!

Posted by: Mike at April 4, 2006 5:10 PM

Mike, I took this, "via the players-only tunnel" to mean the handcuffed fans oughta catch a beating on the way to the can. Seems apparent that was not your meaning, my bad. That Benson story screams Lorena Bobbitt.

Posted by: abe at April 4, 2006 5:39 PM

I normally agree that fans should never throw anything onto the field. However, I think there are two exceptions to this rule (one of which most of you will agree with).
The first is that it's always ok to throw opposing team's homerun balls back onto the field.
I think the second is throwing syringes (sans needles of course) at Barry Bonds (well, not "at" him, but in his general direction). What can I say, he's an ass. I know I'm probably wrong, but . . . he's an ass.

Posted by: ermoore at April 4, 2006 7:25 PM