May 20, 2006
BASEBALL: Enter Sand-Bag-Man

Well, Wagner was even worse today than Rivera yesterday, so maybe this whole "Sandman" thing is jinxing them both . . . frankly, Willie left Wagner in at least one if not two batters two long - there was no need to let him load the bases, then walk in a run, then bean in another run; if they'd lifted Wagner when it was 4-2 and Bernie was coming up, they might have got out of that inning alive. What a horror show. So the Mets win with Jeremi Gonzalez coughing up six runs in three innings, and lose with Pedro tossing seven innings of shutout ball.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:01 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

That sucked, thank you very much Mr. Wagner. Any game we can get them to lose is one more game we have in hand and he tanks like nobody's business. Where have you gone Braden Looper?

Posted by: jim at May 20, 2006 11:17 PM

Wagner was just having a conventional rough time until he walked Stinnett on four pitches. I'd have pulled him there. It was a huge win for the Yankees, who would have faced a very likely sweep with Glavine facing Small tomorrow.

Posted by: Jerry at May 20, 2006 11:56 PM

I'm gonna write more about this tomorrow on my Monday morning Met post, but I have to say this right now: Willie blew it by bringing Wags in. Period.

4 run lead, 10 pitch 8th from a rested Duaner, Wagner unavailable for Sunday's game the second he entered yesterday. He could've struck out the side on 9 pitches, and it *still* would've been a bone-headed move.

The Met's are good, as their 8 games over .500 record shows, but Willie's personnel decisions and bullpen management has been POOR, and costs the Mets games.

I outlined that here last week. And check out the title of one of my posts from last week!!! ;-p

Posted by: Mike at May 21, 2006 9:38 AM

Heh.

I dunno what to comment on. How vicious (I mean that in a nice way) you guys are as fans or WTF has happened to my boy Wags.

I bet Billy Boy wishes he weren't playing in New York right now. Tough crowd, you guys are.

Posted by: Dwilkers at May 21, 2006 10:52 AM

Mike is right. Wagner should not have been used in the first place. My sons and I shouted "No!" when we saw Wagner warming in the bullpen with the score 4-0. Shoulda left Sanchez in for the ninth. I blame Bush -- uh, I mean, I blame Randolph.

Posted by: Attila (Pillage Idiot) at May 21, 2006 2:09 PM