June 27, 2006
BASEBALL: Bad Scheduling

Howie Rose just piointed out that the Red Sox bizarrely chose today - with the Mets visiting - to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the 1986 AL Championship team.

And while I'm on the subject of the Mets, I'd be more likely to buy this if I hadn't written this.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 7:02 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Uh, I think they chose today because the Mets are visiting.

Posted by: Hei Lun Chan at June 27, 2006 7:55 PM

Yeah, Crank, I don't think it escaped Dr. Charles' mind that the Mets beat the Sox in '86 or that the Mets were on the schedule for today. Maybe interleague play isn't such a good gimmick if the Sox, who have sold out every game for years, need to spruce up a rare matchup against a premiere national league team with some commemoration of a world series losing team.

Posted by: ChinMusic at June 27, 2006 8:13 PM

The likely alternative would have been when the Angels were in town. I guess they thought that was bad form, but it seems preferable to me.

Posted by: Jerry at June 27, 2006 10:40 PM

I'm not sure where, exactly, every baseball pundit gets off suddenly declaring that "Reyes has figured out how to hit the curveball."

What, as of last week, following 3 seasons in the bigs he was clueless, now he handles number two better than an industrial strength toilet? I'm sorry.

That said, I agree with Marchment in general. Reyes looks to be approaching 300/360/500, though he ain't there yet, IMHO. I think he's solidly at 280/335/465 range right now. And with 60+ SBs and his glove, that's your basic All-Star shortstop.

But don't forge his bust in Cooperstown just yet. For now, Young David "Derek Who?" Wright will have to be inducted all by himself. The entire left side of the Met infield isn't there yet.

Posted by: Mike at June 27, 2006 11:04 PM

I think honoring a team taht actually lost a World Series is strange, but if you want to do so, then probably it's better if the Mets are not there. However, it would be terrible if the Sox did it with the Angels coming. What do they do, trot out Donnie Moore's family?

And in the pregame today, they mentioned Boggs was there, but Buckner was not. Very funny. I always thought it was classy of Buckner to quietly take the garbage, and never point out that Stanely tied it witha wild pitch, then lost it when he never ran to first to cover; I always figured that Buckner saw that, muttered something like, "Holy S***" and that's when he missed the ball, when he knew he would have to be Mookie Wilson in a foot race, which never happened. And Stanley let Buckner do it.

And as for Reyes becoming a superstar, it may happen yet, but it took Mantle 3 years, Mays 2 (I don't count his army years), so I guess we can wait a bit for Jose.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at June 27, 2006 11:54 PM