July 11, 2006
BASEBALL: Long Memories

While we remain on the subject of our least favorites, Metstradamus is taking votes for his Hall of Hate. What I found amusing is that Dick Young is running fourth in the voting with 118 votes at last check, despite having been dead for something like two decades. Not that this is uncalled-for. It's never too late to hate Dick Young.

And also, while we're at it:

FACT: If the NL wins the All-Star Game, the NL team gets home field advantage in the 2006 World Series.

FACT: As the team with the NL's best record, the Mets are as likely as anyone to benefit from this.

FACT: Kenny Rogers is starting the All-Star Game for the AL.

Life is good. Now, an entire league of fans has a chance to be let down by Rogers all at once.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:12 AM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I guess it comes down to who started when, but choosing Kenny Rogers to start from among Roy Halladay, Johan Santana, and Francisco Liriano seems like a very curious decision.

OTOH, the NL better beat up Rogers. With Jenks, Ryan, Papelbon, and Rivera pitching the last four innings, it's going to get late early.

Posted by: Jerry at July 11, 2006 11:12 AM

Fact: Kenny Rogers has 200 wins.

Posted by: RMC at July 11, 2006 11:45 AM

Nicely put re Rogers. How that clown even made the all-star team, let alone gets slated to start, is beyond me. I haven't looked at the Allstar roster, but on his own team, Bonderman, Verlander & Robertson have been better.

Just Ozzie being Ozzie I guess.

* * *
For anyone looking for some analysis and even some more frivolity, check out Part I (the hitters) of my Mets' Mid-season review. Click on my name.

Posted by: Mike at July 11, 2006 1:31 PM

Saw Freddy Lynn hit a dinger in the softball game last night. 23 years ago he hit the grand slam. He played on the Angels team that had him, Carew, Grich, Downing, Decinces, Boone and Reggie.

Carew was at .402 at the break. Went .266 the rest of the way with 48 singles and 10 doubles in 218 ABs. The Angels ended up 5th 70-92...with John McNamara at the helm.

Posted by: jim at July 11, 2006 4:45 PM

Dick Young had all the talent in the world, and was also a venal alcholic bum who should never ever ever get into Cooperstown. I will never forgive him, or his booze ridden spirit for his fight against Seaver.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at July 11, 2006 5:36 PM

Can we now add Trevor Hoffman to our most hated list?

Posted by: paul zummo at July 11, 2006 11:20 PM

Paul-

I think we have to wait to see if the Mets make the series, or it's gonna be MOOT!

And . . .

For anyone who actually (i) read, (ii) made it all the way through, and (iii) enjoyed Part One of my Mets season review (all two of you), feel free to click on my name and check out Part Two (Pitchers).

Posted by: Mike at July 13, 2006 9:05 AM