July 13, 2006
BASEBALL: Quiz Me!

Take this quiz, via John Salmon. I got 49 out of 50, missing only #44; none of the ESPN analysts broke 45 (Rob Neyer got 43). (Kevin Mench got 40, topping the ballplayers who took the quiz, which proves that Mench knows baseball history better than he knows his own feet). Many of these are easy if you know basic history, but a few are quite tough. I got a couple by educated guesses (I would probably have scored around 38-40 if this wasn't multiple choice), and got #4 & 43 right through more random guesses. I'll have to try this one out on my son.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:10 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (11) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

49!!! Damn, you're good, Crank.

I got 43. Missed a few easy pop flies, but also guessed right on a couple.

How the hell was I supposed to know where Vin Scully went to college?

Posted by: Mike at July 13, 2006 12:44 PM

Hey Crank, how did you ever know where Vin Scully went to college?

Posted by: WD at July 13, 2006 2:49 PM

Heh. I got 26. =p

Crank that's an amazing score. Those are some pretty trivial questions.

Posted by: Dwilkers at July 13, 2006 4:49 PM

39 for me.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at July 13, 2006 5:10 PM

I did poorly on the quiz, but I got the Scully question right. And I didn't guess, I knew he went to Fordham. But how? I don't know. Which scares me a little. Okay, a lot.

Posted by: c at July 13, 2006 5:31 PM

Obviously Vin Scully has groupies.

Thanks for the mention, Crank.

Posted by: John Salmon at July 13, 2006 7:04 PM

I wonder what some of the other ESPN personalities would have gotten.

Joe Morgan would have had about 35-38 but would have made snide comments while taking the quiz, e.g. "Eddie Plank was the first left-handed 300 game winner, but he would have been a middle reliever on the '75 Reds."

Harold Reynolds would have gotten around the average player's score, high 20s. Kruk, maybe 25. Dibble would have gotten 15, and that's being generous.

Posted by: Chris at July 13, 2006 11:17 PM

Chris -- I think Morgan would have gotten a 175-190 rather than 35-38 because he repeats every point that he makes five times -- this test would be no different.

Posted by: WD at July 14, 2006 9:50 AM

I got 41 out of 50. I made a few educated guesses, knocking out bad answers like the bar exam.

Posted by: steve at July 14, 2006 10:33 AM

WD-

Nice.

Posted by: Mike at July 14, 2006 1:02 PM

40. I got the Scully one right by deduction+educated guess. I would have known if he went to an Ivy, so that eliminated Harvard and Columbia. New York seemed more appropriate than Nebraska.

One or two I missed, I should have had, but even more intelligent guessing wouldn't have given me more than 43-44.

49 is pretty amazing.

Is anybody surprised Steve Phillips didn't do well? Gammons would have done very very well, I bet.

Posted by: David Nieporent at July 16, 2006 6:50 PM