July 31, 2006
BASEBALL: The King Is Dead

The last stage of every pennant race is Miracle Time: the point at which a replay of 1995 or 1978 or 1964 or 1951 is still possible, but all other avenues to toppling the leader are closed. Entering this weekend, it was still Miracle Time for the perennially defending NL East champs in Atlanta - but the red-hot Braves needed to sweep the staggering Mets at Turner Field to keep that possibility alive. Instead, the Mets turned the tables and did the sweeping (as my son has pointed out, this means the Mets have now swept a series from each of their division rivals this season, which has to be an unusual accomplishment). Now, with the Braves having been swept and the Phillies having given away their best player and one of their few semi-reputable starters, we can finally say definitively: it's over. The division belongs to the Mets. The Braves will, for the first time since entering the division, finish a season in October out of first place.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 8:09 AM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Well, technically speaking, Atlanta was in second place in October of 1994.

Posted by: Marc at July 31, 2006 8:20 AM

The Mets looked like a very very strong team when they played the Astros a few weeks ago. Teams I've watched this season that looked like they have a legitimate shot are the Mets, ChiSox and the Tigers. I'd have to think about it before I made a pick among them.

Crazy talk in Houston this weekend about trading Oswalt, Ensberg and Everett for Tejada. I am clueless as to what this would accomplish - at least if the goal is to strengthen the team this year or in the future.

Without Oswalt the Astros are dead meat this year - I've been arguing for a while they're dead meat anyway - but why let Oswalt go if the goal is to improve this year, and if its to improve in the future how does letting those 3 players go for Tejada support that goal?

I don't think its about payroll either. I just don't see it.

Posted by: Dwilkers at July 31, 2006 8:43 AM

Heh, heh.

A sweep of the Braves. At the Ted. Humiliation.

Life is good. If anyone's interested, a little more on that, plus my musings on the cold-blooded cyborg known as The Beltranator; my unbridled anger at the Yanks picking up an OBP stud & a serviceable starter for 4 bags of trash; Tommy Strikezone's need for a vacation; and other Met-related facts, frivolity & fun.

Click on my name, and be instantly delivered.

Sweep of the Braves! At the Ted!

Posted by: Mike at July 31, 2006 9:05 AM

The 1994 season finished in August.

Posted by: The Crank at July 31, 2006 9:34 AM

1989 was the last time the Mets swept Atlanta in Atlanta. 1989! David Wright was what, 5? Keith Hernandez was at 1B? Doc Gooden wasn't in prison? Danny Almonte was 34 but said he was 3?

Cool.