July 2, 2006
BASEBALL: Your AL MVP . . . Curtis Granderson?

Yes, at least through June 25, The Hardball Times' AL Win Shares leaderboard listed Granderson, with 16 Win Shares, as the AL leader, followed by Joe Mauer at 15 and four players tied at 14 (Jim Thome, Ramon Hernandez, Carl Crawford and Vernon Wells). Thome is rated as the top hitter in the league, followed by Travis Hafner, but both are DHs while Mauer, Granderson, Hernandez and Wells all have substantial defensive value.

Which is not to say I think Granderson is MVP material, although with his good OBP and power combo in the leadoff slot and outstanding defense on a team whose defense has been a huge part of its turnaround, he's certainly been an impact player (it would seem that he, Crawford and Wells all get valued highly by the Win Shares system for staying in the lineup a lot - here are the major league batting leaders as of that date).

There's a couple of broader points here. First, there really is no dominant MVP candidate in the AL this year, so far (I imagine Thome would win the award if they voted now, although a .392-hitting catcher with a good glove, power and good wheels is hard to turn down). Second, and relatedly, the strength of the AL this season is probably why - it's harder for a single AL player to have a really monster dominant season like Albert Pujols was having before he got hurt.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:28 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (11) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

curtis granderson mvp? hardly! this is a guy who demoralizes the sport through his actions off the field. I heard a story about him sleeping with a married women when they played Seattle last weekend. Isn't there a better candidate that is also a role model for children and his community in which he represents? where did the real true heroes of sport go? You might as well call him Kobe Granderson.

Posted by: seattle at July 21, 2006 1:26 AM

I think that it is pathetic that you would judge a man's MVP potential based on his personal life outside of the game. How would you know that he slept w/ a married woman? It's not like she would admit it, and if she did... she's probably just a groupie making up some desired story. Unless it was your wife, and you caught him in your bed, you don't have a flippin' clue. Curtis Granderson would make a wonderful MVP! and he seems to be a wonderful person, on and off the field!

Posted by: T at July 24, 2006 7:33 PM

Well amazingly enough it was my wife and I do have a flipping clue. Just picture yourself in my shoes. My wife goes to a Mariner game and meets him. He woo's her with free tickets for the following day's game. Afterwards, he gets her number and hooks up with her at a small piano bar in Seattle. After a few drinks they take a cab back to his lavish hotel, watch television for awhile and then proceed to have sex. Meanwhile being the father that I am, I am at home with our two children taking care of them while mister mvp shows my wife just how valuable he is. It doesn't matter if you belive me or not. The truth is that it did happen. Of course it was my wifes fault also, but she told him she was married and it didn't seem to bother him much. Isn't their something to be said for the common man that isn't pro or rich. What has this world come to. People just accept this stuff like it's ok. Until it happens to you! Go Mr. MVP I'm sorry that I can't post my real e-mail address but I feel I've gone through enough already.

Posted by: sleepless in seattle at July 28, 2006 1:08 AM

I would strongly recommend taking this sort of thing with a gigantic grain of salt, being a nasty anonymous rumor on the 'net. Not saying it didn't happen, but folks, this is just some guy whose story we have no way to verify. (And I may decide to delete his comments after I think about it a bit).

Posted by: The Crank at July 28, 2006 10:44 AM

I would like to say thank you for allowing me to use your forum to vent my frustrations about extra-marital affairs with pro baseball players. I will reiterate that the story is true in every detail. I am just upset that people use their clout, money, stature, etc... to be deceitful, and unprofessional. These people are in the spotlight of Americans and their youth. I believe that (want it or not) they are looked up to and idolized. Womanizing is widespread throughout the entertainment industry. Does that mean we should accept it as part of our culture? What does that tell the next generation of athletes? If you commit a crime, should people be treated differently according to how well they play baseball? I used to love to watch professional sports, but now I can't hardly watch any game without wondering if every player is behaving in this unacceptable manner. My eyes have been tainted by one individual. Hooray! for the true heroes of professional sports that still carry integrety and morality. The fathers and mothers that take care of their families and their communities, and still function at the tops of their games. These are the people that we need to look to for mvp status. These are the people that are teaching our children how valuable family is. I know my views won't change many minds, but at least consider them.

Posted by: seattle at July 31, 2006 7:07 PM

I would have to say if any of this information is true about your wife then why wouldn't you and her try and get something out of it. I mean is granderson married himself or have a girlfriend. You maybe all talk, why don't you put your words to work!

Posted by: suzy q at August 3, 2006 9:40 AM

thank you suzy q, but how? That is why I am trying to bring attention to this situation, and hopefully someone will here me.

Posted by: seattle at August 4, 2006 6:21 PM

If that happened to you and your wife, that is a very unfortunate event. I do not support infedelity in any way. Unfortunately, you can't change the past and you can't make people behave in a manner that you approve. I would only suggest that you continue to be a good father, accept professional sports for the game that it is, and keep your wife from any sporting events!!!

Posted by: t at August 8, 2006 4:06 PM

hey
is this curtis granderson. i think it is so im gonna rite 2 him.
hi
how r u? this is the first time ive written u so im not sure if ull read this. im ur #1 fan. i might go to a game next week. i luv u.

Posted by: elly at September 24, 2006 1:28 PM

You sure it was him?? Grandy is such a consummate pro and everyone absolutely loves him. That'd surprise me if it were true because he's a class act from what I hear/read... from ppl who are around him.

Posted by: detroit at October 16, 2006 6:12 AM

I am sure it was him! My wife actually met him a year ago in Vegas when he was still in the minors. He showed her a good time in a club down there. VIP treatment. I was angry when she told me about it, but since nothing supposedly happened I got over it rather quickly. This year in July, Detroit was in Seattle for a double header or possibly a triple header, regardless. My wife got a ticket from her friend for Friday nights game. Somehow she got his attention after the game and he gave her comp tickets for the following days game. After that game she gave him her number and met up with him at a quaint little piano bar in downtown Seattle. They talked for awhile. He noticed her wedding ring and asked if she was married. She replied yes and it was not brought up again. They left the bar in a taxi and went back to his hotel room. She told me that they talked and watched television for awhile. Then she said that they proceeded to have sex. I raked her for details, call it morbid curiosity. During intercourse his condom broke. I told her that sometimes that is a ploy that guys use to have unprotected sex because it feels better. Nonetheless, he finished. They both climaxed and it was over. She stayed the night and left in the morning. He kissed her goodbye and told her to look him up next time he was in town. When she came back to our home town I instantly knew something was up and she broke and told me everything. We are currently trying to save our marriage. I am now insecure and very heartbroken. I'm sure to the public eye he is a class act and I know he is a great baseball player. My wife made a huge mistake and she is trying to right her wrong and I am trying to give her the attention she must have been missing. It is still day to day. How do I compete with the fact that a pro-baseball player much less someone that could be headed to the world series, slept with my wife. If I could I would like to confront him and see what he has to say about it. Like I said before, there are true heroes of sport. Mother's and father's that give to their families and their communities and still compete at the tops of their games. These are the future of American athletes or are they? Down with the infidels!

Posted by: seattle at October 16, 2006 8:13 PM