August 3, 2006
BASEBALL: Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose

Reported: Jose Reyes has agreed to a four-year, $23.25 million contract, with a fifth-year option. Via Always Amazin'. Treeeee-mendous news, and let's hope for the same for Wright. With guys this good, a big-market team can afford to pay its stars more now for the benefit of locking them up and keeping them happy.

The Mets also sent down Mike Pelfrey and replaced him with lefty reliever Royce Ring (who may yet give the Mets more than did the man he was traded for, Roberto Alomar). I've completely lost track of which relievers are up and down . . . Pelfrey showed some flashes but he very clearly is Not Ready for Prime Time yet. Still, if the Mets could get Oliver Perez straightened out, they will have a bunch of options for 2006 between Pelfrey, Bannister, Maine, Perez, Humber and Soler to go with Pedro, probably Glavine, and possibly Zambrano and/or Heilman (though they seem convinced that he's a reliever) as well as the chance to sign Barry Zito.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 5:30 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (8) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Pay more now? If by "now", you mean "for the rest of this season", true, but this may be the all-time bargain of bargains in baseball history. Reyes gave up 2 years of arbitration and 2 free agency years for 5 mil. per AND the Mets have an option for a 5th year. Don't know if he would make more than 5 mil. from arbitration for next year, but he would almost certainly have made more than that for the last 3 years and the option year. The Mets made out like bandits here, and there's nothing wrong with that; Reyes and his agent presumably signed this contract with open eyes, and knew what they were doing. And certainly, nobody's gonna cry for a guy getting paid 5 million dollars per anuum to play baseball. But he got rooked here, no question, through his own devise. He could've gotten more. You are nonetheless correct, crank, that this is great news for the Mets and Met fans.

Posted by: thom at August 3, 2006 5:44 PM

He does have a history of injuries and presumably wanted the security of a guaranteed deal.

I don't know that I'd say he got "rooked", but this certainly does seem like a good deal for the Mets.

Posted by: mikeski at August 3, 2006 5:51 PM

If I was Reyes' agent, I would have thought I could get at least 7 mil per on this deal, so I think he definitely cut a bad deal. Great that he's locked up, though, and I think the Mets might want to let him renegotiate if he puts up two big years in 2007 and 2008.

I think Ring was only called up because the Mets had just demoted Heath Bell, and had to wait a while for his next elevator trip.

Posted by: Jerry at August 3, 2006 7:56 PM

This is great. John Hart's Manny & Thome deals with Cleveland are the only comparisons I can think of.

Reyes' agent is insane. But I'm happy he is.

Posted by: Mike at August 3, 2006 8:23 PM

mike: rooked is too strong a word, you're right, and good point about the injuries. After all, if he never signed another contract in his life, he's already set with this one.

Jerry: yeah, I think we will see renegotiation in the latter years, if he progresses along normally, and it would probably behoove the Mets to do so.

One other thing, everyone is blaming his agent, but I have a hard time believing his agent advised him to sign this deal. I think this was driven by Jose against his agent's advice. I don't remember where he's from, but assuming he was a poor kid from PR or the DR, or something along those lines, 22 mil. might have sounded like all the money in the world to him. Heck, it sounds like all the money in the world to me. It seems like a classic case of a bird in hand being worth more than two in the bush, and that is one pretty darn big bird.

Posted by: Thom at August 4, 2006 1:01 AM

Maybe we are all so cynical about agents demanding the last drop of blood, Reyes, like Tony Gwynn and Kirby Puckett found they liked winning and realized you can spend only so much. Maybe they promised to do the same kind of deal with Wright, and he liked the look of the young pitchers (and Hernandez seeing a bit of Gooden and Darling helped convince him to stay as well), so maybe Reyes wagged his agent's tale, which is the way it is supposed to be.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at August 4, 2006 2:26 PM

Daryl-

That's a good point. Jose seems like one of those guys who has a helluva time playing. Maybe he really wants to stay with the Mets.

Posted by: Mike at August 4, 2006 3:10 PM

Good point Daryl. I was really taking the cynical tabloid, WFAN point-of-view there, to which we New York fans have become far too accustomed. I'd certainly like to believe that your take is closer to the truth, and that a professional athelete can have a good deal more maturity than that amount for which we normally give them credit, and can have a broader perspective than the narrow interests of their agents.

Posted by: Thom at August 4, 2006 5:09 PM