August 14, 2006
BASEBALL: See You In September

With Pedro pitching badly and leaving early with a calf injury tonight (Pedro pitching badly and being hurt are practically synonymous), I'm assuming another DL stint is in the works, which probably means a few more weeks of Pelfrey.

UPDATE: I am reminded in the comments that Pelfrey's also hurt. As, unless I'm mistaken, is Soler. And Bannister doesn't seem ready to go yet, nor Oliver Perez. We may be compelled to see Darren Oliver starting soon, which would be a very bad thing on several levels. (Humber can't be ready yet).

Posted by Baseball Crank at 8:36 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Pelfrey is on the DL as well.

Posted by: Jerry at August 14, 2006 8:41 PM

I'm reluctant to suggest such a thing, but I think that another encore of Lima time might be the best choice. Heilman has responded well to the increased responsibility of being the 8th inning guy, and Willie has been nudging Oliver into greater responsibilities as well. I would not undermine the plans for the bullpen to fill a starting slot for two or three weeks (assuming, that is, that Pedro will be fine that soon). There may be another AAA pitcher who's a better choice than Lima, but if not, it's not like going 0-3 in Lima starts would cost them a playoff berth.

Posted by: Jerry at August 14, 2006 9:12 PM

Dave Williams, maybe?

Posted by: The Crank at August 14, 2006 9:19 PM

Another AAA pitcher better than Lima??!!! How about heading over to Williamsport and signing one of the kids. Lima? No way. Better off trying a few of he AA kids.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at August 14, 2006 9:35 PM

Why won't they give MacLane a shot?

Posted by: Mike at August 14, 2006 11:42 PM

I agree with Daryl, any of the kids at Williamsport would be preferable to Lima. Surely there is a AAA, AA, A or Rookie League pitcher that is available to make a couple of starts. Any would give the Mets a better shot at winning than Lima.

Posted by: maddirishman at August 15, 2006 9:32 AM