August 10, 2006
BASEBALL: Splitsville

Check out these two batting lines:

PLAYERABH2B3BHRRRBIAVGSLGOBP
A37381210226466.217.450.338
B3831242803783108.324.687.405

Player A is the combined batting line for Carloses Beltran and Delgado at Shea this year - B is their combined line on the road. The flip side, of course, is that Pedro and Glavine have an ERA of 4.57 on the road, 2.82 at Shea, and in particular have allowed 1.5 HR/9 on the road, 1.0 at Shea. Food for thought: all of John Maine's starts have been at Shea.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 1:07 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Which makes sense, in a way, for Maine. His ERA/WHIP/Peripherals are great . . . yet he's got a losing record.

Due to his skill or otherwise, he's appeared in low scoring games.

Posted by: Mike at August 10, 2006 4:04 PM

Maine has a few things I like that matters a bit less no matter the stadium: He throws lots of peripheral strikes, few balls, and works very quickly. Since he makes it easy on umps, the word gets out and of course it gets easier for him. Nothing an ump likes more than a quick game.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at August 10, 2006 9:08 PM

OK, nobody else asked so I guess I will since I have no clue.

Why would both of those guys be so dramatically better on the road than at home? I don't follow the Mets that closely so I have no idea. Shea isn't that unfriendly to hitters is it?

Posted by: Dwilkers at August 11, 2006 9:31 AM

Not sure about Delgado, but Beltran may still be feeling the pressure of performing in front of the home crowd. He didn't totally get over all the booing, but considering all the love he's been getting at home recently (the crowd chanting "M-V-P!" during his at-bats) that could turn around.

Posted by: paul zummo at August 11, 2006 10:02 AM

How many Strikeout titles and ERA titles do Mets pitchers have in their history? How many batting titles and HR titles do Mets have in their history?

It seems obvious to me that Shea is an extreme pitchers park.

Posted by: John Hitchens at August 11, 2006 10:28 AM

No I think Beltran is way past pressing at Shea. It's just an impossible place to become a great hitter. And rmember, it's the second oldest place in the NL; Wrigley is easy to hit in, and the new ballparks are as well. So hitters have an even tougher time adjusting to the old dump.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at August 11, 2006 10:31 AM