August 12, 2006
BASEBALL: The Big Giant Head

Can someone tell me why Mr. Met was sitting behind the third base dugout tonight in Washington? I've never seen him at a road game before.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:04 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (12) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Tonight's promotion on the schedule at the Nationals team site at mlb.com says it Faith Night. Maybe he was trying to find religion.

Posted by: Kevin at August 12, 2006 11:29 PM

The Nats bring in visiting mascots to do "dance-offs" with the chicken Screech during the 7th inning stretch (or at least they did during the Baltimore series). So it was the chicken, Mr. Met, Toronto's bird, and the Oriole.

Mr. Met was the most popular; it took him half an inning to leave the stands.

And yes, a significant number of Nats' between-inning entertainments are either minor-league quality or ripped off.

Posted by: JH in DC at August 12, 2006 11:35 PM

I saw him in Houston in 1986. I am an Astro fan so don't make me relive it.

On another note...do you give Houston a puncher's chance to get the wild card again?

Posted by: Scott Eiland at August 13, 2006 12:47 PM

The long-suffering Mrs. Met has had enough of his high-livin' lifestyle and tossed him out on his ear.

Posted by: John Salmon at August 13, 2006 9:18 PM

When I read the title of the post, I assumed it was about Barry Bonds.

Posted by: WD at August 13, 2006 10:13 PM

I was at the game; it was entirely unclear why Mr Met, the Oriole and Ace (Blue Jays mascot) were there. The Oriole I know lives in the DC area (long story; I had a telemarketing job where I ended up talking to the man inside the costume).

The Nats have a Presidents Race between innings (it's like the sausages in Milwaukee but its Washington, Lincoln, Teddy and Jefferson). Mr Met joined the race midway, and had to be tackled by Screech (Nats' mascot) to keep from reaching the finish tape before Lincoln.

Posted by: Elliot at August 13, 2006 10:32 PM

I saw this question elsewhere and did not know the answer:

When Zimmerman took off from first on the one-out flyball today, could the Mets have retired him by throwing to second base ? (He had run all the way to third, not realizing how many outs there were). My guess is that they could, but I've never seen the situation before, so I'm really not sure.

Posted by: Jerry at August 14, 2006 12:09 AM

Good thing you said "Teddy" instead of Roosevelt. People may have drawn the wrong conclusion. I don't think FDR would have been very fleet-footed.

Posted by: nate at August 14, 2006 12:19 AM

I've seen him on TV broadcasts of a few road games this season. There's definitely something unsettling about the visitor's mascot showing up. I wouldn't recommend that Mr. Met show up in the Yankee Stadium bleachers, for example. Might get his head set on fire. Friggin' uncivilized Yankees fans.

Posted by: YDS at August 14, 2006 1:04 PM

I though "Screech" was the guy on Saved by the Bell.

Posted by: Jeff A at August 14, 2006 5:56 PM

Screech was the guy on Saved by the Bell (and who is now looking for fans to donate 20 dollars each to help him get his house out of hock...or something like that) but Screech is now also the "baby bald eagle" mascot of the Washington Nationals, albeit a baby bald eagle that looks like a fat owl stuffed into a baseball jersey.

Posted by: Mike at August 14, 2006 8:21 PM

Mr. Met was in Boston for the Sox series this season too. And prior to the first game, Fenway played a hilarious video of Wally the Green Monster showing Mr. Met around Boston. For me, a loyal Met fan, it was probably the high point of the series.

Posted by: Scott at August 15, 2006 8:47 AM