August 21, 2006
BASEBALL: The Difference Maker

Yankees through July 31: 61-41 (.598), scoring 5.59 Runs/Game, allowing 4.80 Runs/Game.

Yankees August 1-20: 13-7 (.650), 6.15 Runs/Game, allowing 4.50 Runs/Game.

The difference: Bobby Abreu, batting .397/.526/.500 and scoring 113 runs per 162 games; Cory Lidle, 3.86 ERA in 3 starts. It really is as simple as that. Abreu, now second in the majors in OBP, batted .529/.706/.652 in this weekend's demolition of the Red Sox. Apparently Abreu didn't get the memo about how he wasn't supposed to be a big-game player.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:17 AM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I'm still mad Abreu went to the Bronx, not to Queens.

Arrrrr.

Posted by: Mike at August 21, 2006 2:12 PM

I'd be mad if I was the one that had to pay him in 2007.

Yikes.

Posted by: jake at August 21, 2006 4:09 PM

LOL.

But I'm a fan: i can enjoy a player's services now, in pursuit of a championship, then let Wilpon pay him next year.

Posted by: Mike at August 21, 2006 4:14 PM

Fork meet Red Sox. Red Sox meet fork.

The horror, the horror.

Not that I enjoy the thought but is everyone OK with Jeter as the AL MVP? Yeah, he pretty much won it over the weekend.

I'm going to go live in a dark corner for awhile now.

Posted by: jim at August 21, 2006 7:48 PM

Condolences, Jim, condolences. Our dreams of a Met march to october as the Skankees watched on TV seem to be evaporating too.

Posted by: Mike at August 22, 2006 5:48 AM

Yeah, you might as well live in the now and enjoy it. I think the Yankees are going to win the World Series. The Tigers and Sox are starting to dive.

Key to beating Detroit: Get to the starter early because once it goes to the pen, you ain't scoring off of them.

I think the Yanks can do it.

Regardless, whatever the NL shats out of her putrid womb isn't going to beat anyone in the AL come Fall Classic time.

Posted by: Jake at August 22, 2006 11:22 AM