September 30, 2006
BASEBALL: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pedro done even longer:

Already ruled out of the playoffs because of a bad left leg, the three-time Cy Young Award winner will have right rotator cuff surgery next week and won't resume throwing off a mound until June, Mets general manager Omar Minaya said Saturday.

Now, the truth comes out. The Pedro contract was a crucial step towards credibility for the Mets, and put a lot of extra fans in the seats in 2005, but it now looks like they will definitely not get their money's worth on the field.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 8:27 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

It could have been worse. You could have signed Carl Pavano...

Posted by: Mark at September 30, 2006 8:40 PM

Randy Johnson is not looking particularly good right about now either, happens. As Crank points out, the organization bought more than a pitcher in Pedro.

Posted by: abe at September 30, 2006 9:35 PM

Sorry about Pedro, but remember Crank he's been fragile forever. It was just a matter of time for the shoulder to go. Hopefully he'll still be able to come back and be successful, although to be honest if he even comes back at 85% of the old Pedro he should do alright. I'm not a Mets fan but he's fun to watch, so I'm hoping for the best.

Posted by: Kevin at September 30, 2006 10:23 PM

I still say what I've said for years now: make Pedro the closer.

Posted by: Mike at October 1, 2006 7:48 AM

You guys are going to be shopping pitching this winter too then.

Woody Williams will be available. There's talk here the Astros are going to go after him. I guess I'd describe him as a good third or fourth pitcher, most of the time he's pretty good and can turn out some innings.

I'm not sure who else will be on the market this year. Our team has a few young pitchers that are in that delicate stage of development between really nice AAA numbers and minimal major league competence. Its not incenceivable that the Astros would be ok pitching-wise next year even if they can't land a good free agent starter this winter...but I'd sure like to see them sign someone and I expect they will.

Anyway, it is certainly seems to me that decent free agent pitchers are almost going to be in a 'name your price' type situation this winter.

Posted by: Dwilkers at October 1, 2006 8:04 AM