September 2, 2006
BASEBALL: Beltran's Knee

The Mets will be very fortunate if tonight's victory isn't very, very costly - Carlos Beltran caught his spikes in the chain links in Minute Maid Field's center field fence and turned his left knee the wrong way coming down from a spectacular game-saving catch of a drive off Lance Berkman's bat with two on and one out up 4-2 in the ninth. Beltran limped off the field, and there's no word just yet on the status of the knee.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:55 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (8) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Agreed, the long trip off the field was not encouraging.

Posted by: abe at September 2, 2006 10:24 PM

He looked pretty hurt to me.

Posted by: Dwilkers at September 3, 2006 7:22 AM

I thought it was going to be bad, but initial reports are encouraging. If he misses a week - no big deal.

Posted by: John at September 3, 2006 10:56 AM

If he misses 2 weeks it's no big deal. Unless it hampers his play when he returns. Beltran played injured last year. With our pitching issues we can't afford to have the team MVP revert to to .260, 15hr form. Great catch, nice win, now hope for the best.

Posted by: abe at September 3, 2006 11:36 AM

I was terrified as soon as he went down. Though maybe he'd hooked his cleats in that idiotic fence. And, by the way, screw "The Hill," "The Flagpole" and "The Chainlink Fence." Why don't the Astros just put alligator-filled moats and landmines in the outfield.

Good grief.

Anyhow, it looks like he'll be ok, with just a bad bone bruise. We all know how badly those can hurt, and you can understand why his knee locked up. I guess he'll be back in a week or so. Hurts his MVP candidacy, but that's secondary to his performance in October.

Anyhow, this allows me to get back to thinking about what an indestructable & terrifying machine The Mets must be in the eyes of the other teams & their fans.

Scary for them, fun for me.

Posted by: Mike at September 3, 2006 12:12 PM

Both the Mets and Beltran need to resist any temptation (and with both Howard and Pujols hitting three homers today, I'm sure it will be there) to get him back on the field in an effort to win the MVP. There are bigger fish to fry.

Posted by: Jerry at September 3, 2006 8:22 PM

I think Willie Randolph has made it very clear he could care less about the MVP. I think what makes this Met team likeable is that their viable candidates don't play as though it's vital to them either.

Someone years ago asked Tony Gwynn what he thought was more important to him: his batting average or some other batting stat. he looked at them kind of funny, and said, "Winning."

I had an ijury kind of like Carlos' years ago, from tennis. Blew up like a grapefruit for a few days, but I was playing two weeks later.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at September 3, 2006 9:15 PM

Agreed - that park is ridiculous. It's like a 9 year old designed it without any adult supervison.

Posted by: drano at September 4, 2006 11:32 AM