October 12, 2006
BASEBALL: Game One

Listening on the radio...will update as I go.

Glavine strikes out Pujols! They should put that on a poster, like the famous John Starks dunk (hope this series ends better than that one).

Jeff Weaver is pitching a no-hitter.

Floyd is hurting, and is out of the game. That did not take long.

You know, Encarnacion can pop a big hit now and then, but I have to believe that batting him cleanup is a deliberate ploy to get the Mets to walk Pujols.

Oof! Pujols doubled off first by Beltran! Inning over!

Where did the Cardinals get this Jeff Weaver guy? He can't be related to the guy who pitched for the Yankees, Dodgers and Angels.

This game is starting to remind me of Game One of the 1986 World Series. Come to think of it, there wasn't much scoring in Game One in the NLCS in 1986 or 1988. Game Three of the 1999 NLCS comes to mind as well, Glavine being prominently involved in that one.

BELTRAN HOMER! 2-0 Mets!

Delgado doubles. It's midnight and Weaver just turned into a pumpkin.

Tyler Johnson on in relief. Allowed 56 baserunners this year in 36.1 innings.

I don't like seeing Mota instead of Heilman in the 8th.

Two outs, Eckstein on first, Pujols on deck, 2-run lead, Mota really needs to get Preston Wilson here.

Bradford warming up - because Bradford keeps the ball down, I'd rather have him face Pujols in that situation than Heilman or certainly Mota.

Mota back from 3-0 to 3-2 on Wilson. Foul out to Delgado! Whew. Pujols will lead off 9th and can hit the ball to Hartford and it won't matter.

Braden Looper is in! It's Christmas in October!

2d & 3d, 1 out. Lo Duca on third. I think I would run for Lo Duca here; the insurance run would be big.

Instead, Wright grounds out. Need a hit from Chavez for the big insurance run.

Nope, lineout to Edmonds. !^%$#^!% Edmonds.

You can hear on the radio how hard Wagner is throwing. I still say Randy Myers is the only Mets closer I have really, truly trusted.

Two outs, none on. Wagner can't do this without drama, can he?

Wagner walks Rolen. That's more like it. Speizio will come up as the tying run. Other than Pujols he's the only Card to hit in September.

The Mets Win! Theeeeeee Me-e-e-ets Win!

Well, that was unexpected: a shutout and only three pitchers used. Of course, that was Glavine on regular rest; it's all downhill from here (not that Maine is a problem, but he probably won't go 7). Now we hold our breath for word on Floyd's ankle.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 8:25 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (18) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I never realized Glavine had a stomach that was so, well, pronounced...

Middle age, man.

Posted by: Mark at October 12, 2006 9:17 PM

Glavine's pitch-efficiency is very encouraging. I'm sure Willie will be tempted to go to the pen to save him for a short-rest start in game five, but I'd try to get him through seven, anyway.

Posted by: Jerry at October 12, 2006 10:12 PM

I'd let Bradford face Pujols in the ninth. Willie will probably let Wagner do it, but I'd rather not have Wagner give up a homer to his first batter, which I expect is likely.

Posted by: Jerry at October 12, 2006 10:57 PM

I agree with that.

Posted by: The Crank at October 12, 2006 11:00 PM

Crap. You gotta hope the failure to get another insurance run there - with a guy on 3B w/ 1 out - doesn't come back to haunt us.

Posted by: Al at October 12, 2006 11:09 PM

Looks like Wags will start the inning. I'll hope for the best.

Posted by: Jerry at October 12, 2006 11:09 PM

All went well tonight. Weaver pitched unexpectedly well, but they won the game, they didn't use much of the bullpen, and they still managed to get Glavine out after about 80 pitches, which helps with his short rest.

Posted by: Jerry at October 12, 2006 11:19 PM

You mean you never trusted Fat Benitez to properly close a game???

Posted by: Avery at October 12, 2006 11:53 PM

Weaver is the bomb. This guy is not. Won't somebody frag him?

Posted by: abe levine at October 13, 2006 12:30 AM

Ya think Willie might be saving Heilman incase he needs a fourth starter or someone who can come in and give 6 innings in long relieve? You know, just in case either Maine or Trachsel blow up real early?

Loved Glavine's outing. The man pitches with so little effort he should be able to come back on short rest and give a reasonable effort for someone who is 40 years old.

But we gotta get more hitting!

Posted by: joated at October 13, 2006 6:12 AM

WooHoo! Congo-Rats guys!

I wasn't able to watch because the wife and I had a commitment.

Posted by: Dwilkers at October 13, 2006 9:07 AM

That was one of the best played playoff games in memory. Sure do wish Beltran was back in KC. That swing on the HR is what I ahve been trying to get my 14 year old to do for 3 years now. It is a sweet swing.

Posted by: maddirishman at October 13, 2006 9:31 AM

I want to tie Spezio down and shave that red thing under his lower lip off.

Posted by: mikeski at October 13, 2006 9:42 AM

I agree re Myers, and trust in Mets closers.

Although I trusted Orosco in '83 & '84 before the Mets became legitimate contenders.

By the way, that was the best defensive performance I've ever seen by the Mets.

Posted by: Mike at October 13, 2006 9:55 AM

Seeing Mota take over in the 8th inning caused me to wonder if the Mets might attempt to keep Heilman in reserve to start game four. If Maine goes deep into tonight's game, i.e. if the bullpen stays relatively fresh, that could make a lot of sense; who knows what to expect from Perez.

Posted by: dd at October 13, 2006 10:29 AM

I figured it was because Mota was already warming up, and why do that to both Mota then Heilman. Now Heilman is ready for 2-3 games in a row. I can see Heilman int he 8th tonight, Wags in the 9th, then Heilman in the 9th tomorrow.

And Benitez. C'mon, you have to bring up that !@#$%^ name?

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at October 13, 2006 11:26 AM

I don't understand why they had Floyd on the roster. Now he is done, or could at best be used as a PH once a game, with someone to run for him if he gets on. As a result the mets are down a man for the remaining games.

Just wonder why the took the risk.

Posted by: Rob M at October 13, 2006 1:56 PM

I don't understand why they had Floyd on the roster . . . Just wonder why the took the risk.

Blame Armando.