October 27, 2006
BASEBALL: How 'Bout Them Tigers?

I have to admit that after the way the NLCS ended I just have not been able to muster a lot of enthusiasm for the World Series - I've mainly been listening on the radio while doing work. But I gotta ask: you think Leyland will have his pitching staff taking grounders before Game Five?

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:36 PM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (19) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Crank, as a true blue (& orange) Met fan, it just kills me that the Cards are on the verge of winning this series.

I know, I know - we absolutely didn't get it done, and there's no way to know what would've happened vs. Detroit if we had, but still...

Posted by: mikeski at October 27, 2006 12:54 PM

I'm a little torn. As a Mets fan, I am still bitter and want to see the Cards lose. On the other hand, a Cards victory would be a nice rebuttal to all those that pegged the NL as a junior varsity, and the World Series as merely the crowning of the AL champion.

Now, a Cards victory doesn't disprove that the AL is superior, but it would be sweet on some level just the same.

Posted by: paul zummo at October 27, 2006 12:59 PM

Perhaps, Paul, but I'd be willing to settle for the Cards winning 3 to uphold NL honor while still losing.

Sometimes, ya gotta embrace the bitterness.

Posted by: mikeski at October 27, 2006 1:02 PM

PFP's!! The Spring Training ritual of "pitchers fielding practice" seems to have found its importance in October. Ugly.

Posted by: John Powers at October 27, 2006 1:06 PM

I'm just sick to my stomach at the entire thing, no matter which way we take the analysis.

I've watched exactly 0 innings this series. April can't come soon enough.

Posted by: Mike at October 27, 2006 1:50 PM

I figure he's got Lonnie Smith tutoring his outfielders.

Posted by: Jerry at October 27, 2006 2:06 PM

I'm still waiting for the real World Series participants to show up. I don't even feel like theCardinals have been playing all that well, or are actually any good.

Posted by: Dr. Manhattan at October 27, 2006 2:10 PM

I am not going to pretend, just like I didn't when they played the Mets, that the Cardinals are the best team in baseball. There is no doubt that the Mets were better, just not during last week. I have been critical of the Tigers everyday lineup all year. They have gotten by on smoke and mirrors. Shelton got hot at the start of the year and they coasted the rest of the way. Their pitching is good though. I have enjoyed the games in the series so far. They have been competitive and fun to watch. Of course for me it doesn't hurt that the Cards are up 3-1.

Posted by: maddirishman at October 27, 2006 2:49 PM

I am also torn. As a diehard Mets fan, I feel a sweeping sense of bitterness that "hey, our guys could be there!" On the other hand, it is nice to see the "NL is AAAA" crowd get served a heaping helping of crow.

Either way, I'm having a hard time mustering any enthusiasm for the World Series one way or another. Guess it's a good thing football season is here.

Posted by: Phunwin at October 27, 2006 3:21 PM

I'm with Mike. What World Series?

Posted by: Attila (Pillage Idiot) at October 27, 2006 3:31 PM

I'm very disappointed. My wife is from Detroit so we were rooting for them. Maybe I'm zinxing...whoever I want to win loses.

The Cards are hot. I didn't think they'd win 2, let alone 3 games.

When I see guys throwing the ball so wildly and fumbling grounders and whatnot I think they're over amped. Too bad for Detroit, because they may not be back again for a while. Rare thing, going to the WS.

Posted by: Dwilkers at October 27, 2006 3:38 PM

The Tigers have some nice up and coming everyday players, but name one that is the best in the AL at their position. There are none. The closest is Pudge and he may be as low as fourth at this point. The Cardinals on the other hand have Pujols and Rolen for sure and Edmunds is probably still second to A. Jones. That is a big difference.

Posted by: maddirishman at October 27, 2006 4:00 PM

You take Edmonds, I take Beltran...I like those odds. Same deal on a young, healthy Wright or Cabrera vs. Rolen in his present state. Face it, the Cards, even if they win, are a team in serious decline aside from Pujols, Carpenter and a couple of the young arms like Reyes and Wainwright. But I agree that the Tigers don't really have young stars outside of the pitching staff.

Posted by: The Crank at October 27, 2006 4:05 PM

Sorry, I forgot Beltran and yes, he is 1 or 2. Rolen is still #1 when healthy. That being said, yes they has issues to address, but they are getting the job done. Like Al Davis says, just win baby.

Posted by: maddirishman at October 27, 2006 4:52 PM

83 wins. It really is unbelievable.

Posted by: beedlebaum at October 27, 2006 5:11 PM

Are you people quite through being bitter?

Posted by: Dave in St. Louis at October 27, 2006 7:57 PM

In a word? No.

Are you over Don Denkinger and the Humpdome?

Posted by: Crank at October 27, 2006 10:02 PM

I got over Denkinger when he admitted he'd blown the call. I never had a problem with the Hump.

How did the Mets get screwed in the NLCS like the Cards got screwed in the 1985 Series?

Bottomline, Dan - the Cards were injured during the season, but made the playoffs. The Mets were injured at the end of the year and the playoffs. That kind of thing happens. Don't blame the Cards and just get over it.

Posted by: Dave in St. Louis at October 27, 2006 11:23 PM

I don't have a problem with the Cards, and i don't think the mets got screwed. I just despise Tony La Russa. I'd rather see Big Stein and Torre celebrate. But that's the way the cookie crumbles, enjoy Cards fans.

Posted by: abe at October 28, 2006 11:54 AM