October 27, 2006
BASEBALL: Poor Gary

I always get hopping mad myself when someone pays me $13 million.

And after having a crummy year, no less. I guess if the Yankees are keeping A-Rod and Sheffield they really are committing to go with their present core largely intact next year. Although the ESPN report suggests that the Yanks still want to deal Sheffield but re-upped him just to keep him from signing with the Red Sox or Mets.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:20 AM | Baseball 2006 | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I can't think of another team that would be eager to pay Gary Sheffield $13 million next season, so if the Yankees pick up his option to use him as trade bait, that seems like a really bad idea.

Posted by: Jerry at October 27, 2006 10:58 AM

Welcome to the Wonderful World Of Steinbrenner.

2006. It's 1983 all over again.

Posted by: Mike at October 27, 2006 11:09 AM

The Yankees treat their purchases like Al Czervik (Rodney Dangerfield) put into his purchases in the pro shop during Caddyshack --

"Give me half a dozen of the Vulcan D-tens...and set my friend up with the whole schmear. You know, clubs, bags, shoes ..gloves, shirt, pants. Orange balls! I'll have a box of those...and give me a box of those naked-lady tees."

But even Al Czervik knew not to buy the hat. Sheffield is the hat, with no free bowl of soup.

Posted by: WD at October 27, 2006 11:14 AM

At todays prices $13 mil for a healthy Sheff is a bargin. The question is that now that the 'roids are out of his system will he stay healthy. History says no.

Posted by: maddirishman at October 27, 2006 11:32 AM

Speaking as a Sox fan; Gary Sheffield? No thanks.

Posted by: jim at October 27, 2006 12:37 PM

Speaking as a Met fan, what Jim said.

Posted by: mikeski at October 27, 2006 12:51 PM

Speaking as a Yankees fan, what Jim said.

Posted by: WD at October 27, 2006 1:02 PM

How bad a guy do you have to be to literally have no one want you? Sheff is going to end up with 500+HRs, prior to last year his past 3 season totals include 109 HRs, 376 RBIs, .300+BA, .400ish OBP, .550ish slugging and he has not struck out more than he has walked since 1993 despite that cut he takes. How much of a steroid doing locker room cancer are you when you have HOF numbers, can still hit and you are probably going to be looked at by middle-of-the-road/slightly desperate teams only.

This being said who would take Bonds who likely will leave SF as there is little likelihood they will offer him any more than half of what he makes now?

Posted by: jim at October 27, 2006 2:52 PM

Sheffield is still a good hitter, but he's a bad injury risk, a mediocre outfielder, not a great guy in the locker room, and is not only going to be guaranteed $13 million, he's likely to demand more to report if traded. I'd pass.

Posted by: Jerry at October 27, 2006 4:09 PM

I think the O's will make a run at Bonds. And I think the Red Sox will sign Jeff "Freaking" Suppan.

Posted by: abe at October 28, 2006 11:56 AM