December 11, 2006
BLOG: $1200 Necktie

I was reading a few weeks back an article in the weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal, discussing high-end neckties. There were a variety on offer at different prices: $79 tie, $100+ tie, even a $220 tie. And then...a $1200 tie.

See, this is where I get lost. I mean, while I personally don't have the kind of disposable income to go throwing $220 after a tie, I can imagine the situation where it would seem reasonable to do that. Say you are a corporate CEO making millions, and always need to look impressive. Or you're Jay Leno: you appear in a suit and tie on national television something like 200 times a year. A $220 tie, I can see.

But $1200? I don't care how rich you are, I just can't see where it would ever seem worth it. How much visibly better can it be than the $220 tie? Plus, even if I was a billionaire I'd still be worried about spilling something on a tie that expensive.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:55 PM | Pop Culture | Comments (14) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Beyond stupid. Reality is if someone goes beyond $50 for a tie something is wrong. It is just a freaking tie. I'd put money that Warren Buffet never spent over a hundred on a tie.

Posted by: LargeBill at December 12, 2006 12:18 AM

You know how they say that there's sheer intellectual intelligence, book smarts, street smarts, "emotional intelligence", and all that crap? One need look no further than P.T. Barnum as far as common sense goes. This is a perfect example of his maxim that there's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him.

Posted by: Thom at December 12, 2006 5:56 AM

Conspicuous comsumption.

I won't fill in the nationality on this joke, but it deals with the taste for ostentatious displays of wealth among one of Europe's "nouveau riche" nations:

One guy joins his friend for drinks and says, "Nice tie."

"$100 dollars," he proudly tells his friend.

"You idiot!" replies the first man. "You could've gotten it for $200 across the street!"

Posted by: Mike at December 12, 2006 6:12 AM

Actually, I forgot George Carlin's update to Barnum's theory. It's kind of like league and park adjustments. :) It is:

This may have been true in the past, but now,
if you adjust for the increased population base,
birth control, and...moral decline, not only are
there five suckers born every minute, there are
now fifty-three to take him.

Posted by: Thom at December 12, 2006 6:33 AM

Obviously this tie has been design and manufactured to military specifications. That is the only possible explaination. When there is no competitive bid process were quality and price count and there are 2500 pages of directions and requirements, you get $1200 ties and $500 hammers.

Posted by: maddirishman at December 12, 2006 9:24 AM

"Plus, even if I was a billionaire I'd still be worried about spilling something on a tie that expensive."

Crank, oh Crank, you are missing the point. When you spend that much on a tie, you get (at no additional cost) the person who spills things on themselves for you.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at December 12, 2006 9:33 AM

Ah, yet another good example of the diminishing marginal utility of consumption.

Posted by: jcombs at December 12, 2006 10:44 AM

It's the Gil Meche of neckties!

Posted by: SK at December 12, 2006 11:03 AM

I've got to tell you the Matthews and Pierre contracts are a lot worse than the Meche contract.

Posted by: maddirishman at December 12, 2006 12:08 PM

It's the Gil Meche of neckties!

That is hilarious...

Posted by: Mark at December 12, 2006 12:33 PM

here's the $1200 tie in question - it's woven with 2,980 Swarovski crystals:

Posted by: seattle matt at December 12, 2006 3:18 PM

Personally, I have trouble finding acceptable ties for less than $400-500 -- it's not so much the designer, as the bespoke wool.

Posted by: JM at December 13, 2006 8:46 PM

True story. Sitting in a bar on a slow night; bartender is looking through a Neiman-Marcus catalog. Bartender says something to the effect of: "There's a toothbrush in this catalog that costs $90.00! Who the h* would pay $90.00 for a toothbrush?" Old man at the end of the bar raises his hand and says: "There have been times..."

Posted by: Mark Gordon at December 15, 2006 9:05 PM

You don't have to spend a lot of money for a great tie. I have a website that sells neckties and beleive me...there is very little difference in the quality of the necktie once you have reached the $100 mark. Name brand plays a big part in the pricing of a necktie. I recently went into a Hermes store to have a look at what a $250 tie looked and felt like.
all I could honestly break it down to was the name that was soo boldly diplayed on the tie. I personally prefer a good quality woven polyester tie. nobody can tell the diference between silk and Poly these days and you can actually wash out the inevitable stains you'll get in a social life. Everything having being said....buy the tie you like regardless of price...you'll respect yourself in the morning.

Posted by: Stavros Tosounidis at December 24, 2006 6:58 PM