January 19, 2007
BASEBALL: LaRoche Replaced

The Braves' signing of Craig Wilson makes the LaRoche deal make a good deal more sense, as Wilson for his career is a comparable hitter to LaRoche and makes less money. Of course, Wilson is three years older, and thus a good bet to be less productive, but he's closer to being a real replacement for LaRoche's productivity.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 8:23 AM | Baseball 2007 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

With that, I have been redeemed. I said that they gave aw...er, traded, Laroche because of money. Well, it was money. Instead of a Laroche in his prime (thus commanding 5-6 million) and Wickman the solid vet closer, the Braves will go into 2008 with Mike Williams as the closer & making about half the money & Craig Wilson as the 1B also making about half, as well as being without Andruw Jones (again, money).

They should sail to 70 wins.

Crank, I know that as a Mets fan you've gotta be loving this, but TimeWarner has turned my team into the Royals.

Posted by: RW at January 19, 2007 10:26 AM

For that contract, I would rather have re-signed Wilson for the Bronx rather than Doug M.

Posted by: Dr. Manhattan at January 19, 2007 10:57 AM

Wick's still the closer, RW. They've Gonzalez is insurance going to be used in the setup, or to spell Wickman if he's gone a few days in a row.

As far as LaRoche going, I hate to see him leave, as he was the last remaining infielder we had who wasn't a defensive liability. What the Braves should be worrying about isn't losing LaRoche's power (which is good, but not as spectacular as last year's numbers indicate) it's losing his glove and starting the year with a 2B who has never played the position professionally, an ailing Chipper at 3B and Renteria at SS.

Look at the rotation, after Smoltz, these are groundball pitchers. It's going to be very interesting to see how the defense pans out.

Posted by: Hoosier Joe at January 19, 2007 11:50 AM

The Braves needed a bullpen badly for next year and they go out and acquire Soriano and Gonzalez. They needed a replacement for the loss of LaRoche and they go out and get Wilson to platoon with Thorman.

What a well run team. I think things are going to turn around very quickly for them.

And I am a Mets fan by the way.

Posted by: Sam at January 19, 2007 12:09 PM

Hoosier Joe,
If you look closely, you'll see that I typed "2008" as the year, not "2007". Wicky's gone after this year and it'll also be due to money.

Yeah, the late innings are now in the bag & we'll have Williams pitch the 8th and Wickman the 9th for the upcoming season....which means those 78 wins, of the 2 to 1 variety since we won't be able to score, will be in the bag by the 7th inning. :)

Posted by: RW at January 19, 2007 1:03 PM

My bad ... yes, fear the impending 2008 fire sale.

Posted by: Hoosier Joe at January 19, 2007 3:08 PM

RW - The Royals will win more than 70 this year...even in the best division in baseball.

Posted by: maddirishman at January 19, 2007 3:49 PM