January 11, 2007
BASEBALL: Power-Speed Combination

So now Bonds may have failed a drug test for amphetamines and blamed it on teammate Mark Sweeney. Is Bonds saying he routinely consumes things from other people's lockers without asking what's in them?

Anyway, the guy I really feel bad for at this point is Hank Aaron. Will Aaron fly around the country to be on hand to congratulate Bonds for breaking the record? I'm not sure I would. Of course, it would be a terrible blow to Bonds to get snubbed by Aaron - Aaron took a lot of grief for passing Ruth, and while some of it was simply people miffed that the record would fall to a guy who wasn't as good as Ruth, the worst of it was the outpouring of open and virulent racism. Bonds has consistently tried to paint all of his travails as springing from the same illegitimate sources - but it's a lot harder to do that without Aaron's blessing.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:45 PM | Baseball 2007 | Comments (12) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

That's the best title for a blog entry (from anyone) in at least a year.

Posted by: RW at January 11, 2007 1:53 PM

There will always be morons who won't want records to be held by various ethnic groups. That's why they are called morons.

Barry Bonds has, in all honestycial in origin. It's easier to blame someone else, in, probably convinced himself that his problems are all caused by others instead of looking at the mirror and not liking what you see.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at January 11, 2007 2:57 PM

I'm with you Crank, if I were Aaron I would not be on hand either. I remember Hank Aaron being a gentleman regardless of the advertisty he encountered. Barry is not a gentleman on a sunny day at the beach.

The real question is how will Barry be received by HOF voters. With two failed drug tests, one for steriods, how do you as a HOF voter justify any votes for Barry if you will not vote for McGuire who has never failed a drug test and only been accused by a convicted felon promoting a book.

Posted by: maddirishman at January 11, 2007 4:43 PM

Mad, I think many will have an easy time of it. Some form of arguement based upon his non steroid inhanced years in Pittsburgh. That a clean Bonds would have had a HOF career etc. There are several cases to be made for the Mac, but that's not one of them. We'll see, if the Feds nail him the equation changes.

Posted by: abe at January 11, 2007 9:02 PM

Abe, if you look at Barry's numbers in Pittsburgh you will see they aren't any more impressive than Parker or Bonilla. Projected out the nubmers there...we are not even having this discussion.

Barry is the poster boy for steriod enhancement. Big Mac put up big numbers from day one. Barry put up very good numbers in Pittsburgh, but when he got the SF and started juicing, he became great.

Posted by: maddirishman at January 12, 2007 9:27 AM

Mad, I disagree. First, I would put him in the Hall same as McGwire, Sosa and Palmeiro.

Second, Barry was a great player in PIT - look at his OBPs and the two MVP awards.

Third, there's no reason to think he started juicing before about 1999, and he could have retired then as a HOFer. I believe he made the All-Century team in 2000 or was close to it.

Posted by: The Crank at January 12, 2007 10:22 AM

Crank, Palmeiro numbers make a good case. But it's also a case for a consistent, good, long career. He was never the best at his position. Never a serious MVP candidate. Never a dominant player. His Gold Gloves matter as much as Bernie's, to me anyway. He was not great. Criteria for election is subjective. I am agnositc regarding Rice. He has numbers, and was feared by the opposition. I'd put a player like that in over a Raffy anyday.

Posted by: abe at January 12, 2007 10:41 AM

Crank, if you put Barry in, you ahve to put Rose in. Both broke the rules of baseball.

Frankly, I would put Rose in the HOF, but bar him from baseball activities and at this point I would put barry in too. The reason I would put Barry in is bacause when he was putting up most of his numbers, steriods were not against baseball rules. I believe you recognize both players, Rose and Bonds, for their achievements on the field.

Understand, I did not say that Barry Bonds was not a very good player, but he doesn't hit 700 HR without the juice.

Posted by: maddirishman at January 12, 2007 11:35 AM

I'd put Rose in, on the day after he dies.

I wouldn't vote Mac in, aside from the hr's, his numbers aren't HOF.

Raffy did get 3,000 hits. How many people have gotten 3,000 hits? 3,000 hits is worthy of the HOF.

Posted by: pchuck at January 12, 2007 12:30 PM

Mad, I respectfully disagree. Gambling on baseball while employed by baseball in a control position, and utilizing PED's are not the same thing. Reminds me of an exchange at the beginning of Pulp Fiction regarding foot rubs. I like pchuck's idea re Rose.

Posted by: abe at January 12, 2007 12:41 PM

Don't be daft. Bonds' seven years in Pittsburgh featured two MVPs, 291 RCAA (best in the NL), 176 HR and 556 RBI. Triple those numbers, to reflect his 14 years in SF, and he's a no-brainer pick for the HOF.

The real question is: will Jason Alexander do anymore KFC commercials with him? How about Doyle Alexander?

Posted by: RMc at January 13, 2007 11:19 AM

Like Aaron wasn't on amphetamines with the rest of the 70s crew. They called them "greenies" and they all took them.

Yawn. Next.