February 1, 2007
BASEBALL: T-Minus ...

Sure sounds like Roger Clemens, still as effective as any starting pitcher in baseball, is not ready to hang up his spikes just yet:

"I'm failing at retirement," he said. "Let's just face it. I'm failing miserably at it."

Going out before you are totally washed up is a fine thing, but going out when you are still as good as Clemens is overrated. He should pitch again this year.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:38 PM | Baseball 2007 | Comments (9) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I agree completely. It'll be interesting to see how long he can be effective.

Posted by: Adam Herman at February 1, 2007 1:18 PM

I have tickets for the June 18-19-20 Houston Astros @ Los Angeles Angels games. That is about when the Rocket will come back on line.

Posted by: yetijuice at February 1, 2007 1:24 PM

I'm rooting for him to surpass Warren Spahn's 363 wins, which has essentially become the modern-day (i.e., post-lively ball) record. He could still surpass Alexander & Mathewson's 373 as well. I see no reason he couldn't pitch for two years or more.

Posted by: Dr. Manhattan at February 1, 2007 2:40 PM

I remember Rocket talking a couple of years ago about retiring so his Mother could see him inducted into the HOF. Since his Mother has passed away already, there is no reason for him not to continue to pitch. I agree with Doc, I would like for him to pitch as long as he is effective and see how many games he can win.

Posted by: maddirishman at February 1, 2007 2:54 PM

Well, I'm sure he's gotten "everything" out of his system. So if he's still got the strength in his legs to hit 90, why the hell not?

Hate him as a person, but I root for ballplayers, not people. I hope he reaches 400.

Posted by: Mike at February 2, 2007 7:58 AM

Assuming that Clemens is not running the risk of being busted for some variety of performance-enhancing drugs (something I don't know, but he does), there is no reason at all for him to retire while he's still an above average pitcher, let alone when he's still an elite one.

Posted by: Jerry at February 2, 2007 11:06 AM

Pitch, yes. Continue this where will I pitch? when will I come back? who loves me the most? crap, no. It's insulting to all of us. Just have the auction, take the money, shut up and pitch your 20 games, Roger.

Posted by: SK at February 2, 2007 11:39 AM

With 348 wins, he does have a shot to surpass Spahn. How he an get 26 wins is anybody's guess, but I would love to see him pass MAtty and Pete.

He has a better chance with the Yankees, since he needs a bullpen more than he did ten years ago. Interesting question, and the answer is no, but he is a great fit for the Mets, since he can give you 5, maybe 6 innings, and a good bullpen can finish them off. He needs more run production early, since he can't go 8 anymore. I can see him lasting 2 years, getting maybe to 360 as a more likely shot than Spahn; it depends on who replaces him. Lidge lost it with one swing.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at February 2, 2007 12:06 PM

He is 8th all time right now with 348. He realistically could reach 3rd all time in 2008. Obviously, skipping the first month or two each year isn't going to help. If he really wanted to pass Walter Johnson I wouldn't bet against it. However, since passing 300 he hasn't shown that career milestones are that important. If milestones were important he'd play the entire season.

Posted by: largebill at February 2, 2007 6:06 PM