February 20, 2007
HISTORY: The Museum of The What?

You know, I hold no brief for the Confederacy, but haven't we slipped through the looking-glass when the "Museum of the Confederacy," which is a museum memorializing, well, the Confederacy, wants to drop the Confederacy from its name?

A museum, of all institutions, ought not to remove its own identity from its name.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:12 PM | History | Comments (9) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Certainly slavery was a very dark period in our history, but it also is part of what made us what we are today. I haven't visited this museum, but I am sure it is not advotating a return to slavery or extolling its virtues. Keep the name, like 9/11, we need to be reminded.

Posted by: maddirishman at February 21, 2007 9:40 AM

Call it the John C. Calhoun Museum.

Posted by: John Salmon at February 21, 2007 11:59 AM

Call it the John C. Calhoun Museum.

The Museum of Nullification. Or Museum of States Rights.

Posted by: Mike at February 21, 2007 2:15 PM

Museum of States Rights fits best I think, seeing as states rights are merely museum pieces since the illegal appending of the 14th amendment to our constitution.

Posted by: Bensdad00 at February 21, 2007 7:19 PM

illegal appending

Someone snuck in under cover of darkness and sewed it onto the parchment?

Posted by: Mike at February 21, 2007 10:56 PM

"Someone snuck in under cover of darkness and sewed it onto the parchment?"

Yes-covert seamstresses.

Posted by: John Salmon at February 22, 2007 11:33 AM

Those chicks won't rest til they bring down our republic one amendment, and one needle, at a time.

Posted by: Mike at February 22, 2007 11:49 AM

I understand that there is a theoretic argument that the 14th wasn't properly ratified, but at the end of the day it comes down to the fact that the states that ratified it at bayonet point had just engaged in treason. So their claim isn't exactly sympathetic.

Posted by: The Crank at February 22, 2007 12:02 PM

By the way, I looked closely at this photo of the 14th amendment on wikkipedia, and for the life of me, I can't see the stitches. Them is some damn good seamstresses!

Posted by: ZappoMan at February 23, 2007 11:53 AM