April 11, 2007
POLITICS: Chris Dodd Can't Do Anything Right

I'm sure Senator Dodd is desperately hoping that nobody remembers where he announced his 2008 presidential bid: on the Don Imus show. (H/t).

Of course, this assumes that anybody remembers that Dodd has announced a 2008 presidential bid at all.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 11:48 PM | Politics 2008 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I'm trying to recall the last President who came from the House, but couldn't. I mean straight from the House; Nixon went from House to Senate to VP.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at April 12, 2007 1:34 PM

Chris Dodd is one of the great mysteries of politics. Why do the supposedly intelligent and sophisticated people of CT keep electing him?

For all the time he has spent in the Senate, can anyone point to anything that he has accomplished other than blocking appointments of nominees whom he deems insufficiently anti-anti-Castro? In his day, he was as much a womanizer and an accomplice of Teddy, but got no attention. He was Clinton's hand-picked chair of the Democratic party but escaped any notice in all of Clinton's fund-raising scandals. I suppose that behind the scenes he has been able to save some of his wealthier constituents in Fairfield County from overzealous regulation and taxation schemes advanced by his Democratic peers. That kind of attention to detail may not get much publicity but must be greatly appreciated by those affected, including, I'm sure, many a media mogul.

Posted by: jimbo at April 12, 2007 3:55 PM

Chris who?

Posted by: joated at April 12, 2007 5:14 PM

I'm trying to recall the last President who came from the House, but couldn't

...Lincoln?

Johnson went house -> senate -> VP -> POTUS.

I don't think house -> POTUS has happened much.

Posted by: Dwilkers at April 12, 2007 5:16 PM

FWIW Crank, I didn't know Dodd was running. I keep seeing stories about Biden running too, seems sort of other-worldly to me.

Posted by: Dwilkers at April 12, 2007 5:27 PM

James Garfield went from Speaker of the House to president. Not sure why people are asking about House members being elected president as Dodd is a senator. In the last hundred years only 2 have gone from the senate directly to the White House (Kennedy/Harding). Didn't work out too well for either as they both died in office.

Posted by: largebill at April 12, 2007 7:40 PM

I asked because I mistakenly forgot that Dodd was a senator. I guess he just acts like a Representative. No gravitas at all.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at April 12, 2007 9:30 PM