May 31, 2007
BASEBALL: Trivia Time, Single-Season Record-Holder Edition

Now that HostingMatters has fixed the comments, let's try a little trivia. Hard-core baseball fans know the single-season record holders for a variety of records - but in most cases, there is also a best-ever in the other league. Let's see how many of these you can guess. The ones listed below include some easy and some hard - a few of these formerly held the overall record - but most of these guys are either recently active or in Cooperstown, and none of them is hugely obscure.

Questions: The Single-Season League Records

Batting:

1. AL, Batting Average
2. NL, Doubles
3&4. AL, Triples (two players tied)
5. AL, Home Runs
6. AL, Runs
7. AL, RBI
8&9. NL, Hits (two players tied)
10. NL, Steals
11&12. NL, GIDP (two players tied)
13. NL, At Bats

S
P
A
C
E

1. Nap Lajoie, .426
2. Paul Waner, 62 Joe Medwick, 64 (my bad)
3&4. Sam Crawford and Joe Jackson, 26
15. Three Finger Brown, 1.04
16&17. Eric Gagne & John Smoltz, 55
18. Mark Eichhorn, 89
19. Ed Walsh, 464
20. Sandy Koufax, 382
21. Jack Coombs, 13

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:12 AM | Baseball 2007 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Mike Marshall appeared in 90 games for the Twins in 1979.

Posted by: Simon Oliver Lockwood at May 31, 2007 11:34 AM

Simon,

That would be Dr. Mike Marshall to you. :-) He even has a website/business devoted to preventing pitching injuries to young arms.

Posted by: largebill at May 31, 2007 12:33 PM

Let's give this a shot...

AL, Batting average- Nap Lajoie, 1901- .426
NL, Doubles- Ducky Medwick sometime in the 30s but I'm not sure how many- 63 many? 64?
Al Triples- I'm pretty sure the record is 26 but can't remember who did it. was one of the players Cobb? Or Sam Crawford, baseball's all-time triples record holder?
Al, Home Runs- Roger Maris- 61
Al, Runs- Babe Ruth, 177- still the major league record
Al, RBI- Lou Gehrig, 184
NL, Hits- I"m going to say Lefty O'Doul (254 I think) but I can't think of the other
Nl, Steals- Lou Brock 118 in 1974
NL, GIDP- no idea
NL, at bats- Juan Samuel, 701- can't believe I know this
AL, Strikeouts- 186 Pete Incaviglia no? Or is that Rob Deer?

NL ERA- Bob Gibson 1.12 in 1968
NL, Saves- Eric Gagne and John Smoltz both reached 55
AL, Games- who knows?
AL, Innings Pitched- who knows?
NL, Strikeouts- Sandy Koufax 382
AL, Shutouts- Pete Alexander, 16

OK- these are off the top of my head....how did I do?

Posted by: Matt Schiavenza at June 1, 2007 9:07 AM

OK got between 11 and 13.....not too bad, eh? "Good showing" as Crank says.

Posted by: Matt Schiavenza at June 1, 2007 9:09 AM

Let me give it a go:

1. AL, Batting Average -- Ty Cobb, .420
2. NL, Doubles -- George Kell, 64 (am I confusing people here?)
3&4. AL, Triples (two players tied) -- Speaker & Jackson, 26.
5. AL, Home Runs -- Maris
6. AL, Runs -- Wait a sec, isn't the Babe's record of 177 the MLB record too?
7. AL, RBI -- Gehrig, 184
8&9. NL, Hits (two players tied) -- Bill Terry & Rogers Hornsby -- 250
10. NL, Steals -- Brock, 118
11&12. NL, GIDP (two players tied) -- No idea, won't even try to guess
13. NL, At Bats -- Samuel, 705
14. AL, Strikeouts -- Hmm, is it Rob Deer or Inky? I go with Incaviglia, 185.
15. NL, ERA (Post-1893, so this doesn't include Tim Keefe in 102 innings in 1880) -- Three Finger Brown.
16&17. NL, Saves -- Smoltz, Gagne
18. AL, Games -- Marshall (he has it in both leagues, right?)
19. AL, Innings Pitched -- Walter Johnson
20. NL, Strikeouts -- Koufax, 382
21. AL, Shutouts -- Johnson

I got 11. A good showing, supposedly.

Oh, you went pre-1900, so Billy Hamilton has the runs scored record, right?

Posted by: Mike at June 2, 2007 9:35 AM