June 12, 2007
BASEBALL: Doldrums

I'm not even sure what else to say about the Mets lately, as they have barely been watchable. A dry stretch is inevitable now and then but aside from Wright and Delgado (and Jorge Sosa, of all people) they are really in a terrible collective slump. Fortunately the Braves have too, but that just means the Mets have missed chances to put some real distance on them, and at the same time have let the Phillies creep back in the race. The Braves are still the Braves, but it's Philadelphia that has the horses.

I hate to say it, and it's a small thing, but it may be time shortly to say farewell to Julio Franco. Of more pressing problems, Scott Schoenweis is just completely hopeless. And Glavine is starting to worry me, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:58 PM | Baseball 2007 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

We Sox fans are having similar doldrums, as they've managed to lose six of ten at the same time that the Yankees have won eight of ten and six in a row.

This, too, shall pass. Cheer up, both teams are still in first.

Posted by: Giacomo at June 12, 2007 1:39 PM

As a Giants fan (or victim) I agree with the point of saying that Julio Franco may have stayed one year too long. It seems half of my team is past the use by date, and you can tell. Aside from hitting #747 last night, Bonds looked like what he really is, a man that is too old to play left field at the major league level. Ray Durham is too slow to beat out infield hits, Ryan Klesko was slow when he was fresh, and now he is even slower. Looks like an Old Timer's game sometimes.

Posted by: NRA Life Member at June 12, 2007 2:01 PM

I thought Schoenweis might have just been going through a dry spell. Nope. He just plain stinks. And agreed on Franco.

Glavine, even when he's on, drives you nuts. He can't seem to put away hitters, and has to make every inning a 20 pitch inning.

Last year they had the same exact kind of losing streak, at almost the exact same time of year. But they had already put the division away, so it wasn't a big deal. This is making me nervous, but I still think we're going to be fine.

And I continue to maintain that the Braves are a bigger threat, though without Chipper, maybe not as much. I'll worry about the Phils when they get another quality starter or three.

Posted by: paul zummo at June 12, 2007 2:31 PM

NO!!!! we will not trade Bannister and his low 3's ERA back to you for gas-can Burgos.

Posted by: maddirishman at June 12, 2007 3:55 PM

Bannister's last three starts:

3-0 22IP 14K 2BB 14H 0.73WHIP 0.41ERA

Posted by: maddirishman at June 13, 2007 4:43 PM

The Braves losing in the 9th to the Twins tonight just about snapped me from watching them for a while. It can't get much worse. It really can't.

Posted by: JJ at June 15, 2007 12:11 AM