June 16, 2007
POP CULTURE: Yet Another Sopranos Fanfic

An exhaustive explanation from the setting of the final scene of why Tony is deader than Paul McCartney. Via HotAir. Of course, all of this is equally consistent with Chase teasing us to build suspense. I still think the whole "show ends when Tony's point of view ends" assumption is inconsistent with the show's prior seasons, in which we saw plenty of things Tony never saw.

By the way - another spoiler here, albeit from an older film:

people keep mentioning Michael Corleone's death in Godfather III. I saw the movie and I swear I never saw that. I was certain that the movie ended with his daughter expiring due to lack of acting talent being gunned down on the church steps. I wonder if I somehow missed the end or just completely forgot it.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:15 PM | Pop Culture | Comments (11) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

You might have missed the point, but Michael lived. Sophia Coppola bought the big one as you recalled. I always wondered how the movie might have turned out had Winona Rider not had health problems (she was cast originally).

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at June 17, 2007 12:23 AM

Doesn't seem to have occurred to the guy you link to that all the funereal symbolism might have been intended by Chase merely to represent the death of the show, not the death of the actual character. After all, if Chase wanted to make it clear that Tony is dead, he could have, you know, showed it.

Posted by: Keith L. at June 17, 2007 1:25 AM

When David Chase says that he'd make a Sopranos movie if he had a good idea for one, that essentially confirms to me that Tony is still enjoying his onion rings.

And I don't recall if it was a post-credits scene or what, but I do recall seeing Michael, sitting outside alone some time after his daughter's death, expiring at the end of GF III.

Posted by: Jerry at June 17, 2007 6:05 AM

Maybe I'm completely making this up, but I seem to remember that the absolute final scene of Godfather III is Michael collapsing in his chair in the garden, implying that he finally dies in the end.

Posted by: paul zummo at June 17, 2007 10:45 AM

I'm with Paul - I remember him diying in some manner. Of course the whole movie sucked so I only really rember parts 1 and 2

Posted by: Mark at June 17, 2007 10:59 AM

It was a few years after his daughter's death that Michael slumped in his chair dead, dropping a glass of beverage. Perhaps FF Coppolla decided to include the scene to resist the temptation to make "IV."

Posted by: splinter at June 17, 2007 12:33 PM

Michael defintiely dies in G-III. He's an old man, I'd say a few years after his daughter's death, at his house in Italy, looks like the same house he was staying at in that movie (same house where Appolonia gets blown up in G-I?). An old Italian, sitting in front of his house, having a glass of wine, and slumps over in his chair, finally falling on the ground.

I know I'm in the minority but I didn't think G-III was that bad. Nowhere near I and II but not exactly Howard the Duck.

Posted by: SJGMoney at June 18, 2007 9:07 AM

"Nowhere near I and II but not exactly Howard the Duck." Now that's damning with faint praise.

Posted by: rbj at June 18, 2007 1:29 PM

Again, the theory rest less on it being a matter of Tony's point of view than the reference to the earlier conversation with Bobby where he says when you get it, you never see it coming and things just go black.

At the end when the music stops and the screen goes black, we're seeing this event from Tony's point of view. That's all, there's no need to imply that Tony's POV was the only thing that mattered through out the whole series (though his psychopathic self-centerness is a central theme).

The bit about the oranges and death was interesting though. As was the Latin translation of Journey (though that's a hell of a stretch).

And the alleged casket shot, too, particularly if Tony went down from a shot to the head as you would expect, he probably wouldn't get an open casket.

Posted by: Strick at June 19, 2007 9:13 AM

"You probably don't even hear it when it happens". This is what Bobby says. Nothing about going to black.

Taken literally, Chase's "it's all there" comment could be interpeted to mean, "if I didn't show it to you, it didn't happen".

Posted by: Kirk H. at June 19, 2007 6:49 PM

Yeah, Michael Corleone dies in the absolute, final shot of Godfather III. In the garden apparently of a heart attack. With the implication being that he died alone and unloved, unlike Vito who died playing with his grandchild and loved by his whole family.

Posted by: Robert R. at June 21, 2007 11:18 PM