July 21, 2007
BASEBALL: Bad Break

I'm guessing we have seen the last of Jose Valentin for the year and probably in a Mets uniform after he broke his tibia tonight fouling a ball off it (it took a while for Jermaine Dye to recover from that, and Dye was a good deal younger).

Posted by Baseball Crank at 2:26 AM | Baseball 2007 | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeal broken up about this.

Posted by: anonymo at July 21, 2007 3:09 AM

I like Valentin, so I feel bad for him. But I think it's likely in the Mets best interest to give Ruben Gotay a good long look, and see if he's part of the problem or part of the solution. He does seem to have potential offensively, and is still young, but he has an alarming tendency to hang Reyes out to dry in life-threatening positions on the double play.

Posted by: Jerry at July 21, 2007 10:27 PM

Gotay has shown flashes for the last 4-5 years. He did get several key hits when he was with the Royals, but was not consistant. I always thought he had potential, but it was not tapped in KC. I wish him well in NY.

Posted by: maddirishman at July 23, 2007 11:38 AM

I think Gotay will be an improvement over Valentin, but you never want to see someone get injured like that. It's good that Gotay will get some time before the playoffs though.
www.beegcellent.com

Posted by: Beeg at July 23, 2007 1:20 PM

Crank, I find in interesting that as much as you and many of your readers have bagged on the Royals, now you find your team being patched up by guys that couldn't make it with the Royals. Gotay and Ambres both used to be Royals, but were found lacking. That being said, like I said earlier, I like Gotay and think he can be a useful player.

Posted by: maddirishman at July 23, 2007 4:38 PM

Its not unusual for a good player to fail on a bad team and then succeed on a good team. How motivated can you be to play for the Royals or Devil Rays? Bad managers tend to make things even worse. Glendon Rusch was quite useful for a couple of seasons and was basically no cost for us.

Posted by: Greg Schreiber at July 25, 2007 12:24 PM

As with Burgos before he got hurt, it's also not unusual for a guy who struggles as a 22-year-old to improve with time and experience.

Posted by: The Crank at July 25, 2007 12:36 PM

I will agree with that arguement for a veteran, but a young player who is trying to stay in the majors is motivated to play. Ask Carl Crawford how you get motivated to play for the D-Rays. As for Burgos, his problem is between his ears. I haven't looked, but how many inherited runners has he allowed to score? I am telling you...walking gas can.

Posted by: maddirishman at July 25, 2007 2:12 PM

You can fix a problem between the ears easier than you can teach someone to pitch. As proof positive, I present to you Oliver Perez. Last year, he couldn't win a game at AAA. Today he is more valuable than any player on the entire Royals roster. Maybe Burgos will be the same thing, maybe he won't. Either way, the Mets will finish first in their division this year and the Royals will finish last. Therefore, I'll give Omar the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: Greg Schreiber at July 26, 2007 4:50 PM

Bainbridge has Spitzer related questions for NY State lawyers, http://www.professorbainbridge.com/ . There always seems to be a few hanging out here.

Posted by: abe at July 26, 2007 8:59 PM