July 20, 2007
POP CULTURE: Harry Potter and the Daily Prophet

I'm still appalled that the NY Times broke embargo and published a review of the seventh Harry Potter book yesterday, though given the Times' attitude towards far more serious and dangerous secrets, I can't say I'm surprised. At any rate, I will never forgive anyone who spoils the ending for me, doubly so because I'm swamped with work at the moment and will take longer than usual to get through the final 784 pages of the saga. This isn't like the Sopranos, where we could all watch a single episode the same night. My one consolation is that the media is so fixated on "does Harry die?" that that may be all they report. Either way, I will have to avoid a lot of media for the next week or two.

As for my predictions for Book #7, I can't add much to my lengthy analysis after Book #6. Jonathan Last has more here, including a link to a lengthy analysis of the "evil Snape" theory (i.e., that Snape is actually a Saruman-like figure). I continue to believe that we will find that Snape was never fully loyal either to Dumbledore or Voldemort.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:30 PM | Pop Culture | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

The book delivers.

That's all that really matters anyway.

Hope Cuaron is brought back to film it, too.

Posted by: grrbear at July 20, 2007 3:39 PM

Me thinks that Harry Potter would prefer cricket to baseball...

Posted by: J. Mark English at July 20, 2007 4:20 PM

I'm not sure what's to be upset with. They didn't really publish any spoilers and it's a lovely, quite positive review. Reading it has to make you look forward to the book even more, if that's possible.

Anyone else (anyone who hasn't already sold a gazillion books, that is) would have been delighted to have it.

Posted by: Strick at July 20, 2007 5:30 PM

I got the book early and just finished it--I'll just say that it has the potential to be the best in the series, though maybe it's just because my theory about Snape was dead on. It is quite dark though; if they film the movie exactly as the book is written it's definitely at least a PG-13 movie.

Posted by: Hei Lun Chan at July 21, 2007 2:38 AM

Someone told the Times that Rowling is a Republican.

Posted by: Greg Schreiber at July 21, 2007 11:35 AM

Yeah. It delivers. I want to make comments about the accuracy of your predictions from Book 6 (it was great reading back then), but I'm not cruel enough to spoil anything for you.

Posted by: fanerman at July 23, 2007 5:15 PM

I understand that JK originally was going to explain that Hermoine went on to become chief editor of the Daily Prophet (she fired most of the existing staff) while Harry became a stay at home dad and celebrity endorser of Weasley products.

Posted by: chris at July 24, 2007 7:17 PM