September 21, 2007
BASEBALL: Lamentations, O Lamentations

How many leads must a man throw away
Before you won't give him the ball?
How many times must he throw the same way
And watch it go over the wall?

The pennant race, my friends, is being blown again
The pennant race is being blown again

How many times must a manager do
The same thing that cost him last night?
And how many games must the lead dwindle down
Before he can see he's not right?

The pennant race, my friends, is being blown again
The pennant race is being blown again

And how many arms must a man trade away
Before you can give him the blame?
How many dollars can go to a man
Who can't show to close out a game?

The pennant race, my friends, is being blown again
The pennant race is being blown again.

UPDATE: I have added a visual representation of Willie Randolph's handling of the bullpen:

RandolphBullpen.jpg

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:00 AM | Baseball 2007 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Fun!

Please don't pick on Wagner, though. I love that little 'Neck.

Posted by: dd at September 21, 2007 11:30 AM

I don't suppose "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" would cheer you up. Maybe "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding).

Oh, well:

Once upon a time Reyes hit so fine,
You saw Glavine pitch like he was in his prime
Now didn't you...
People call, say beware doll, you're bound to fall
And you thought they were all just kidding you...

I'm still holding out for Yanks-Mets, but they sure have taken the Yanks off the back page.

Posted by: Tom Maguire at September 21, 2007 12:32 PM

Excellent work Crank, enjoyed it very much. Just one little quibble, because I've been hearing the following the past few days here and there:

The Mets are starting to be cast as some sort of heartbreak kids, as Met fans are saying things that are basically variations of "Same old Mets, here we go again." But Met history, as far as I know, is quite the opposite, at least as far as 1973 is concerned. Is there a case where the Mets blew a lead in September and lost a pennant as a result that I'm forgetting?

Posted by: Thom at September 21, 2007 4:05 PM

Well, in 1985, 1987 and 2001 they mounted challenges that collapsed in mid-September. In 1999 they were tied with the Braves in early September for the best record in baseball but collapsed and had to go on a last-week winning streak to force a 1-game playoff for the wild card.

Posted by: The Crank at September 21, 2007 7:11 PM

Strona http://serwisybukmacherskie.com pomoże Ci zapoznać się z najlepszą ofertą zakładów bukmacherskiech, które prezentują takie serwisy jak betathome, betway, expekt i betgun. Wyróżniają je bogata oferta, najwyższe kursy, bonusy i promocje. Ponadto na stronie prezentowane są darmowe typy o dużej skuteczności, porady, systemy bukmacherskie i wyniki live

Posted by: Lin Pi at October 5, 2007 4:12 PM