November 22, 2007
POP CULTURE: Hollywood's "Social Conscience" In A Nutshell

Julia Roberts designs Armani bracelet for World AIDS Day. Mother Theresa should have been so virtuous.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:43 AM | Politics 2007 • | Pop Culture | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

So tell me Crank, when Charlton Heston espoused his ideas of "social conscience" otherwise known as give me my !#$%^& guns at Columbine, is that OK? And yes, I am terribly sorry what has befallen him.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at November 22, 2007 10:54 AM

Apples and oranges, Daryl. You think Heston did NRA events so people would think more highly of him as a human being?

Posted by: The Crank at November 22, 2007 8:44 PM

Crank,

I'm not sure I see the connection between your alleged "conservative" values, this blog, and yet another example of some Hollywood person doing something sanctimonious.

I'm Left-leaning, and I could give a hoot about what the Hollywood elite do with their time, especially when they jump on cause bandwagons. I'm more worried about why I have to go into debt even WITH medical insurance for my job.

I think what Darryl is intimating is that it seems disingenuous for you to pick on "Liberal Hollywood" when there seem to be just as many ludicrous examples of this emanating from Conservative actors and/or musicians...

Posted by: crystal math at November 22, 2007 9:33 PM

I don't really see how Julia Roberts loaning her name, and perhaps a bit of her time, to something that will raise money to fight AIDS is a bad thing. Certainly, there are other things she could be doing that would be more admirable, but it's still, all things considered, a net positive.

Posted by: Jerry at November 23, 2007 12:12 AM

Seems like a cheap shot for sure by Crank. The right wing glitterati do plenty that deserve this level of scorn. Guess we have to search out www.joelsilvercharities.org to find out.

Posted by: splinter at November 24, 2007 2:43 AM