February 5, 2008
POLITICS: Let The Healing Begin

I'm signing on to Ruffini's pledge (more here):

Hopefully, if McCain effectively wraps this thing up tonight, the folks on the Right who have been going bonkers about him will settle down, get some perspective and realize the myriad ways in which he is still better than the Democrat alternatives. I never thought I'd live to see the day when Rush Limbaugh needed to be reminded of this.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 1:47 PM | Politics 2008 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

As a old Yankee once said "It ain't over 'til it's over". The discussion within the party over who should steer the ship is taking place, as it should, during the primary season. If folks like Rush etc. do not stand athwart and yell STOP! at this point, when do they do it? Now is the time for the discussion of ideas. The party will have time to heal the divisions, after the primaries.

p.s. been lurking for a long time and enjoy your site.

Posted by: Phils57 at February 5, 2008 2:55 PM

I agree with Phils57 -- it's been somewhat bemusing for those who strongly support also-ran candidates be lectured about the need to get in line behind the front-runner. While I know that some people have been over the top in their opposition to McCain, I think most of this is the quantity of conversation, not the tone. Many people are looking at McCain and his policies and history; it's made them nervous and they want to run the other way. They explain their position with detail and passion.

How is this any different than the Crank's series about Mitt Romney?

Just as the Crank praised Romney on the issues where they agreed, nearly every Republican discussion I've read has given McCain credit for their (often many!) points of agreement. Those areas of agreement are not enough, in themselves, to sway them to McCain's side just like's Romney's acknowledged strong points didn't sway the Crank.

Look, we get very invested in these battles and emotions run high. Some people have indeed promised to stay home in the event of a McCain nomination. My response -- there are many months for the primary wounds to heal; they may not believe it today, but nearly every conservative will in fact vote for the Republican, even McCain.

Posted by: Drew at February 5, 2008 4:15 PM

Hopefully Romney will win and McCain wi8ll be the only one who needs to get over anything. I did my part this morning. Mine was the 13th ballot cast at my polling place.

Posted by: maddirishman at February 5, 2008 6:16 PM

I think the Rush Limbaugh issue is that McCain is the one republican who will tell Rush to take a flying leap if he has to. No kowtowing to him. No worrying about it either. Something about not knowing when the next beating is going to come that lets you not worry about a lying drug addict like Rush. And Rush knows it.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at February 5, 2008 8:29 PM

I don't think any candidate has ever bowed to Rush. Rather Rush has a huge audience because he (firstly) entertains and (secondly) reflects their beliefs, while providing more information and useful commentary. To the extent a candidate "kowtows" to Rush, its because Rush reflects a huge and influential audience.

What John McCain needs to do is convince on the ground GOP activists they should work for him. Take me and my three brothers who all donate to campaigns and political groups based on our beliefs. We'll all vote McCain over a Dem, but as of now we'd not give him money. If McCain has to battle a Hillary/Obama super funded ticket, he better pass new campaign finance laws or get to mending some bases to get the fund raising turned on.

Posted by: Brendan at February 5, 2008 11:16 PM

McCain could always call on Charles Keating for some money.

Posted by: AstrosFan at February 6, 2008 12:11 AM

I've been a Republican all my voting life and I'd work for Hillary's campaign before I vote for McCain.

I've got two main issues that I care about right now:

1) no 30 million new Democratic citizens with another 100 million to follow because of family reunification. This is absolutely huge and will basically destroy the Republican party as a conservative party if it comes to pass. Look at California.
2) Conservative judges.

McCain led the fight to create as many new Democrats as possible (McCain / Kennedy amnesty part 3)

McCain is on record saying that Alito is "too conservative". Who nominated Souter and what difference does it make that he was a "moderate" Republican instead of a Democrat?

Both of these issues have effects that will far outlast the next presidency and McCain is worse on them than what a Democratic president is constrained in doing with a Republican minority that will oppose them.

Posted by: Steve Johnson at February 6, 2008 5:15 PM