March 5, 2008
POLITICS: Geldof on Bush

You really should read Bob Geldof's first-person account of traveling Africa with President Bush. It's a fine and unpretentious first-person account from a guy who clearly likes Bush and thinks he's gotten a raw deal for all he has done for Africa, but who also disagrees with basically the entire rest of Bush's foreign policy.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 1:20 PM | Politics 2008 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

That his policy did a lot of good, saved lives, is indisputable. Geldof's comment on marketing re Bush are very amusing.

Posted by: abe at March 5, 2008 4:24 PM

What I'm sure Geldof doesn't get is that Bush's supporters are largely people who don't think spending millions of dollars to make Africa a better place is a good thing to do. And the people who do think it is aren't likely to support Bush regardless. So it's a case of Bush doing something he thinks is right even though it gains him almost nothing politically - although I'm not a fan of his, he ought to get some credit for that.

Posted by: Jerry at March 5, 2008 11:01 PM

That's mostly true, although - and you can see this when you listen to guys like Brownback and Huckabee as well - there's a substantial faction of the evangelical/conservative Christian base that is big on African humanitarian initiatives. These are people who vote Republican who by and large are not small-government conservatives.

Posted by: The Crank at March 5, 2008 11:46 PM

The history of Africa is one where Europeans spent centuries totally destroying a continent's culture. Germany and Belgium probably worst of all. So, as usual, who cleans up (or at least tries to) clean up the mess?

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at March 6, 2008 11:37 AM

I don't know about Bush's supporters being against his humanitarian efforts. As The Crank says, a huge percentage of Bush supporters are the strong church goers who are very big on that sort of thing -- kind of a substitute (or even supplement) of missionary work. I thought I've read that Republicans gave a higher percentage of their income to charity then Democrats (although don't quote me on that, it might be wrong). It's just hard to believe how screwed up Africa is -- and I've been a bunch of times, both on vacation and with the military. I've been to some very poor and depressed places but the cities in Western Africa have to be among the worst.

Posted by: Tom at March 6, 2008 1:13 PM

The kind of aid described here is fine by this conservative. It's the money we're pissing down the drain to the World Bank and the U.N., two groups extremely hostile to U.S. interests and to accountability for the funds we give them, that makes me mad.

Posted by: Joel B. at March 6, 2008 2:17 PM

GWB -- a stateman AND a scholar. Can you spell delusional?

Posted by: Magrooder at March 7, 2008 11:30 PM