May 22, 2008
BASEBALL: Mets Trivia of the Day

Among players with 1000 or more plate appearances as a Met, only three have a lifetime Mets batting average of .300 or better. Name them.

Answer here.

Bonus: try to guess the all-time batting leader for the Rangers/Senators franchise; they have 8 career .300 hitters as Rangers/Senators.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 6:01 PM | Baseball 2008 | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Well, I got the first place guy, and should have realized number three.

Posted by: crankycon at May 22, 2008 6:36 PM

Who would hae thunk that the Rangers\Senators would hae had more career .300 hitter than the Mets. Especially considering the difference in franchise success.

Posted by: maddirishman at May 23, 2008 3:06 AM

I'm gonna guess the three Mets are Piazza, Magadan, and Olerud.

As to the Rangers/Senators -- Goslin, Sam Rice (was he even on the Senators?), Michael Young, Julio Franco, Buddy Myer, Palmiero, Joe Cronin. I know that's only 7 but I don't feel like guessing any more.

Now . . . off to the answers. I'll be back in a minute.

Posted by: Mike at May 23, 2008 6:48 AM

Ok, I'll accept my own failings as to the Mets. Number 1 was tricky, but no excuse not to get number 3. Yikes.

But for the Senators you should've warned us that it's post-1957, so all the old time Sens I mentioned aren't calculated. And now I have to go to Baseball-Reference and look up the numbers for all the fellas I listed. Ugh.

Posted by: Mike at May 23, 2008 6:52 AM

With the Mets I'd guess that one of them is Piazza.

With the Senators/Rangers I'd guess that one is Frank Howard.

Not very daring. And possibly not very right either.

Posted by: soccer dad at May 23, 2008 8:32 AM

Mike, wrong Senators. Those Senators became the Twins.

Posted by: The Crank at May 23, 2008 9:51 AM

You sure the Mets have three? The graph shows only two with more than 1000 AB.

Posted by: joated at May 23, 2008 3:26 PM

Sorry. It does say "plate appearances". Need more coffee.

Posted by: joated at May 23, 2008 3:29 PM

wrong Senators. Those Senators became the Twins.

Oh my. Now I'm just embarrassed. Let's say this whole conversation never happened. Yikes.

Posted by: Mike at May 24, 2008 10:12 AM