May 19, 2008
BASEBALL: The 2 Train

A 2-game sweep of the Yankees isn't quite the good news for the Mets that a 3-game sweep would be, but I'll take it; it's nice to get a break from playing teams like the Nationals...I don't know if Carlos Delgado has 63 more homers left in him, but if he ends up at 499 for his career, he can blame Bob "The Balking Man" Davidson. But then, I'm still bitter at Davidson from this game.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:05 PM | Baseball 2008 | Comments (8) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

That was a bizarrely bad call.

Posted by: jim at May 19, 2008 12:40 PM

OK, I'll bite. As a non-Mets, non-Dodgers fan, I have no idea what happened in a late May game 19 years ago that has you still bitter...

Posted by: Lyford at May 19, 2008 12:42 PM

I hate to admit it, but all those massholes are right. The Yankees suck.

Posted by: seamus at May 19, 2008 1:05 PM

Lyford - Look at the play by play...game ending balk call in extra innings in a situation where there was zero chance that anybody was trying to steal or Roger McDowell was at all worried about that possibility.

Posted by: The Crank at May 19, 2008 1:12 PM

But was it a balk?

;-)

Posted by: Lyford at May 19, 2008 2:38 PM

I'm not a fan of instant replay for baseball and people claiming that this play is a good argument in favor of it are mistaken. This is a case for better judgment by umpires on when to overrule one another. It is one thing for the home plate ump to ask for help on a checked swing. That makes sense as they will often have a better angle. However, it was ridiculous for the home ump to overrule the call of the ump who was 150 feet closer to the play. The ump who should have made the call got it right.

Posted by: largebill at May 19, 2008 3:36 PM

You know, I think the Yankees ought to be able to afford enough yellow paint to cover the entire foul pole.

Posted by: Jerry at May 19, 2008 4:39 PM

I'm with Jerry on that one. Still I got a good laugh out of the Yankees not even properly installing he foul pole as there is "fair territory" on the "foul" side of it, if you believe the white line on the outfield fence. I looked up that picture of Sandy Amoros catching Yogi's opposite field line drive in the 1955 series to see if the "foul pole" was screwed up then too, and I see that the Yankees at least could do that correctly back then.

Posted by: NRA Life Member at May 20, 2008 4:49 PM