May 7, 2008
BLOG: Toddler Moment

So I recently tried out Fox in Socks on my 25-month-old daughter, figuring it was a little beyond her age (stretches have just words that aren't tied closely to pictures in the book, which I explained by pointing out that they were funny words), and she sat for it, but since it was bedtime I figured after that I'd try something easier and more familiar. So I got one of her touch-and-feel-the-animals books, and I started reading, and about two pages in she says, "this book not as funny."

Posted by Baseball Crank at 11:26 PM | Blog 2006-13 | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Go for "But Not the Hippopotamus" by Sondra Boynton. That and "Green Eggs and Ham" are for all kids, from 1 to 100. Sheesh, you've already got a critic on your hands. Enjoy.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at May 8, 2008 12:19 AM

Yeah, we have plenty of Boynton and we have already done Green Eggs and Ham (bear in mind, this is the third child).

Posted by: The Crank at May 8, 2008 12:22 AM

Shoot, being able to construct a sentence like that at just over two years to you - she'll be editing your legal briefs before long. My son's about the same age - we just got him to string three words together.

Posted by: tsmonk at May 8, 2008 9:48 AM

Around two is when both my son, and later my daugher, became enamored with a Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann . That one comes with their recommendation. Leslie Patricelli's Yummy Yucky was probably the first book that provoked outright laughter.

Now the daughter, age 4, is raiding the bottom of my bookshelf for "word books" that she can put under her pillow. Her favorites are Gibbons and Prescott, with the result that I'm gradually losing the dust jackets on the former and the bindings of the latter.

Posted by: Henry at May 8, 2008 10:32 AM

tsmonk - The girls are usually more verbal.

Henry - She loves Goodnight Gorilla, especially following the balloon from one page to the next.

Posted by: The Crank at May 8, 2008 10:35 AM

She sounds a lot like my daughter (28 months). Thanks for sharing the story.

While we're sharing toddler book recommendations, we love "Benny and the Binky." It's quirky and quite funny, though some of the reviewers on Amazon decry its "violence."

Posted by: Joel B. at May 8, 2008 12:07 PM

The "Sweet Pickles" series is great, if you can find it. Don't know if they print it anymore. All things Pooh, too, in our house. But all that's for the three year old girl. The 18 month old boy won't sit still, but he's a lefty. We work on location until bedtime. "Hit the mitt, boy, hit the mitt..."

Posted by: seamus at May 8, 2008 12:26 PM

My 3 yr old daughter now trys to repeat the easier pages of "Fox in Sox", and on the trickier pages she just laughs and says "that's too silly for me!"

"Pajama time" and "Hippos go Bezerk" are favorites, but we generally just get ten or so random books from the library at a time to keep it fresh. Still, I'm looking forward to when we can read some actual chapter books.

Posted by: FundadCT at May 8, 2008 3:39 PM

My kids always enjoyed "Great Day for Up!" also by Dr. Suess. Sounds like your daughter would be able to read it herself before too long.

Posted by: Judith Barham at May 8, 2008 6:33 PM

Fundad, take it from a dad of 4 kids--the kids don't like fresh, they like the same book over and over and over and over and over and..... well, you get the idea.

At about 5 years old, they all liked The King of Pizza..badly written IMHO, but it's the so called origin of pizza, which every kid on the planet loves, so they like the book.

And Horton Hatches the Egg is among the greatest pieces of literature ever printed.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at May 9, 2008 9:51 AM