May 10, 2008
POLITICS: Barack Obama has already been "Swift-Boated"

You know, one of the funny things about watching the Democrats is their alternation between fear and bravado about whether Republicans will "Swift Boat" their candidate this time around. Orwell once said that "The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable.'" This is roughly the way the Democrats use the term "Swiftboating" to suggest a political attack of thoroughgoing fraudulence and impropriety concocted out of whole cloth. Never mind that each and every one of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth was a combat veteran, including a number of highly decorated veterans; it's casually accepted that they were all liars, knaves and pawns.

But the irony of conducting this discussion in the future tense ignores the fact that, by any reasonable definition, Barack Obama has already been Swift-Boated. A true Swift-Boating proceeds in five predictable stages:

1. The Democrat makes some claim that forms the center of his appeal and convinces his followers on the left that he can reach out to voters in the middle.

Kerry: I served with honor. Thus, you can trust me on national security. Bring it on. That dog won't hunt. Go read Doug Brinkley's book.

Obama: I am a post-racial candidate. I will lead us beyond the age of race-baiting preachers and grievance-mongers. I'm also a religious man who will end the Democrats' secular fixation. Go read The Audacity of Hope.

2. The Democrat's own words are accurately quoted against him, his own actions and associations are turned back on him.

Kerry: The video of his Senate testimony. The Winter Soldier hoaxes he peddled. The Christmas in Cambodia nonsense.

Obama: Rev. Wright, the main who coined "Audacity of Hope," turns out to be just another race-baiting preacher. Obama sneers at other people's faith and has to flee from his own church one step ahead of a bitter gun-toting mob.

3. The Democrat stops answering questions and hopes the media will drop the story.

Kerry: Six weeks where his only interview or press conference was with Jon Stewart.

Obama: Hey, I answered eight questions. Let me eat my waffle. No more debates.

4. The Democrat and his supporters whine and screech about the unfairness of the thing.

Kerry: They questioned my patriotism!

Obama: Racists! Distractions from the Real Issue, which is not my words or my judgment but my...uh....

5. Denial.

Kerry: I'm a strong closer.

Obama: Hey, that was the primaries. Did I mention that John McCain was old?

Posted by Baseball Crank at 11:29 PM | Politics 2008 | Comments (15) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Bravo! Well done. Swiftboating - v. To expose the truth about a politician who is a pathological liar.

Wait, calling a politician a pathological liar is redundant, isn't it?

Posted by: Jarhead68 at May 11, 2008 10:33 AM

And Step 6: Media rewrite history and affirm denial, believing they have fooled the masses again. Then, Step 7: All but the dimmest bulbs among Independents in the electorate detect the pattern. And Step 8: Media insult perceptive Independents in multiple ways for their heresy. Finally, Step 9: Independents react to this contempt in the voting booth.

Posted by: Dave at May 11, 2008 10:35 AM

Well done! In 2004, I donated not to the Republican party but to the Swiftboaters who I greatly admired as the heroes they are.

This time around, I will donate to any 527 who brilliantly highlights the arrogance of the effete Senator and his "Princess Ticked-off"

Many will vote AGAINST the rancorous would be first lady and her leftist and inexperienced husband because a McCain presidency will have some good cabinet posts whereas an America-hating administration is too dangerous to permit.

Posted by: Sandra at May 11, 2008 11:33 AM

Excellent description of the stages of "swiftboating". And, I agree with Dave's epilogue to the stages.........

I only can hope that folks recognize the "evolution" of Obama's contextualization, and subsequent denunciation, of Wright underscore the hypocrisy of his "new type of politics". EVERYTHING this guy does is for political expedience........

He does a very good job of masking his marxist outlook; it doesn't hurt that the media have a crush on him like none before him (save perhaps W.J. Clinton). Isn't it fascinating to see how fast their defense of Wright turned to contempt and feigned "Wright-eous" indignation once their messiah gave them permission!

Exit Questions:

1) How long will they be able to keep his chip-on-the-shoulder wife muzzled (the press will help big on this one)?

2) How long before "Maverick" McCain is cast as a racist?

3) How long before Hillary unloads all of her opposition research on Obama?

4.) How long until this primary melodrama ends (and how much more popcorn should I bank in for the show)

Best wishes to all

Posted by: Bob at May 11, 2008 12:07 PM

See also: Willie Horton

Posted by: mgl at May 11, 2008 12:07 PM

"I served with honor. Thus, you can trust me on national security. Bring it on. That dog won't hunt."
Crank, that's your quote on Kerry. Be careful what you wish for; it's just as apt for McCain.

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at May 11, 2008 12:51 PM

Well, except that in McCain's case it's actually consistent with his career-long record on national security.

Posted by: The Crank at May 11, 2008 2:08 PM

"... it's just as apt for McCain."
Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at May 11, 2008 12:51 PM

Exceopt McCain DID serve with honor, released his ENTIRE military record, didn't put himself in for bogus Purple Hearts and list one medal that doesn't even exist!

Nor did he stab his fellows in the back, lie to Congress in the manner of "Jingus Khan", and behave like a complete tool.

Kerry is a fraud, a creep and a poseur.

Like him or not, McCain is the real deal.

Posted by: Anon 1:50 at May 11, 2008 2:12 PM

I was under the impression that "age discrimination" was unconstitutional. I presume that since a Dem is weilding the discriminatory sword that it is OK..........? Hmmmmmm, do NOT discriminate against race....of course not; do NOT discriminate against gender.....of course not = both Democrats. Do NOT discriminate against age...of course you can......you get a special dispensation from unconstitutionality because the offense is against a Republican.

The interesting observation is that talking heads like Chris Matthews, who is eligible for Social Security (63 years old) is just hooting it up over McCane's age like he was 40 +/-. Whoaaaa, the ostrich syndrome does prevail vs. these dissembling, specious, political hacks.

The total hypocracy as to these aging bigots is astounding. Where is the ACLU (brain dead???)...........discriminating against age in the typical, commercial workplace is actionable via a court case.

Posted by: Morgan at May 11, 2008 2:14 PM

A masterpiece of concision and exposition, with the briefest possible apt examples.

Bitter though the Obamination says I am, I put down my gun and Bible to applaud you, sir. Well done!

Posted by: Fred in PA at May 11, 2008 4:40 PM

Obama already swiftboated himself. Claims he sat in church listening to crazy racist talk for 20 years and didn't hear a thing, then when he is forced to, he claims he can't really denounce it because of how much he respects its author, and then when he really gets in trouble a few weeks later, claims he completely denounces it after all.

There is a technical term for this behavior. It is called lying. He is worthless.

Posted by: sherlock at May 11, 2008 5:31 PM

As a Dem -- I much prefer to see this nonsense playout in April than in August. Yes, you layout the similarities of the two charges quite well -- but Rev Wright will be ancient history when the general election kicks off. And McCain will left to trying to defend the eight wasted years that were the Bush presidency. And for the that the party owes that tough ole broad a debt of gratitude.

Posted by: Patrick at May 11, 2008 9:20 PM

This is why I've generally bought Hillary's argument that she's already carrying all the mud that's ever going to stick.

Posted by: Jerry at May 11, 2008 10:59 PM

What nonsense. This is what elections have come down to: trivia that has nothing to do with the issues. And then we complain when our "leaders" do not represent us.

Posted by: steve at May 12, 2008 12:18 PM

I guess to be "swift-boated" is equivalent to being "Borked;" i.e., being so far out of the legal mainstream that the Senate is forced to deny its consent to your nomination to the supreme court.

Posted by: Magrooder at May 13, 2008 9:18 PM