September 10, 2008
BASEBALL: Just Laying Down A Marker

I hate to jinx the Mets, but I can't get around the feeling that last night's win was the one that iced this division race. Yes, it's just a gut feeling about momentum. Yes, the lead is 2 1/2 games with 18 to play. But there you have it.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 5:56 PM | Baseball 2008 | Comments (9) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Have we forgotten last season so soon? My gut tells me this season is nothing like last season, but my head tells me that this is basically the same group of guys as last year.

Posted by: A.S. at September 10, 2008 6:58 PM

I open my computer and look to see what's happening here as Aaron Heilman takes the mound.

I have a gut feeling, too. It's more like gas pains.

Posted by: Zufall at September 10, 2008 9:47 PM

Hey, I like this Mets team, and as I've said elsewhere, with the way they have played the last two months they don't owe me a thing.

But it's September and the Mets have three starting pitchers left, one of whom, Perez, has been getting away with some bad performances, until Tuesday night that is. There's nothing in that bag, yet.

Posted by: dd at September 11, 2008 8:35 AM

I was at the game in Philadelphia, and I have to say, it does sort of feel to me like the Mets have almost clinched it. Sure, mathematically it is a long way from over, but the Mets have managed to, somehow, inexplicably, hang on.

Posted by: Tom G | ballsssticksstuff.com at September 11, 2008 9:33 AM

I see our old buddy Hampton is the starter. I wonder if he likes the school system in Atlanta as much as the one in Denver....

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at September 11, 2008 10:18 AM

All I know about the 13-10 game against Washington came from the score updates that were presented during the Rays-RedSox game on Wed. night. Each time the Mets went ahead by what seemed to be a significant score, the Nats came right back. The Mets may win the East, but the bullpen does not seem to be very good. I'd be surprised if they get past the Cubs, and if they face LA, somebody named Ramirez might enjoy swatting a few against the Mets clean-up crew. The ESPN guys said something about the NY papers calling the Mets' bullpen, a pigpen, in obvious derision.

Posted by: NRA Life Member at September 11, 2008 3:10 PM

This Met-Brave series should produce A LOT of runs.

Both teams are hitting right now, and not too much good pitching to go around. We may see a few more 10-8 and 13-10 games before this series is through.

Posted by: Mike at September 12, 2008 8:29 AM

When I look at the standings today, my Phillies are in first place. Did you mean division or wild card race? ;)

Posted by: Bob at September 17, 2008 4:34 PM

I wanted to research this subject and write a paper. Your post what a thousand words would not. Nice job.

Posted by: Apply food stamp at September 24, 2008 2:38 PM