October 23, 2008
BASEBALL: At The Trop

Last night's loss by the Rays drops the all-time World Series home record of teams in domed stadiums to 12-3. The Twins went 8-0 at the Metrodome in 1987 & 1991 (and 0-6 on the road), including the legendary Morris-Smoltz Game 7 in 1991, and the Blue Jays went 4-2 at home in 1992-93 (and 4-2 on the road), including the Joe Carter game. All four dome teams won the Series.

This is actually only the second World Series in my lifetime (after 2000's Subway Series) in which I have already visited both ballparks (Serieses where I've been to both subsequent to the Series? 1986, 1981, 1977-78, and if you go back before my lifetime and include Old Yankee, 1963. The longest-ago Series where the two parks are still standing is 1918, of course.).

Posted by Baseball Crank at 5:40 PM | Baseball 2008 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Out of curiosity, why are considering the Rogers Centre as a "dome" but not Houston and Arizona's stadia?

Posted by: Mark D at October 23, 2008 6:29 PM

My guess is the turf?

Posted by: Murph at October 24, 2008 6:51 AM

Where the games in Phoenix and Houston played with the roof open or closed?

All the games at SkyDome (as it was known back then) were played with the roof closed.

Posted by: Chris Graham at October 24, 2008 1:23 PM

Yeah, I was fairly certain that SkyDome had the roof closed. I don't believe any of the games in 01 or 05 were indoors.

Posted by: Crank at October 24, 2008 2:51 PM

The first Stadium I ever went to was Forbes Field. My father took me and we sat in the right field bleachers. The Pirates played the Cardinals. Bob Gibson pitched for St. Louis. I remember Roberto Clemente in right field and, between pitches, pretended he was swinging an imaginary bat.

Posted by: Magrooder at October 26, 2008 2:42 PM

Crank,

FYI - Wikipedia says the Cubs used Comiskey Park for their home games of the 1918 World Series.

I assume the original Comiskey is no longer standing, so the longest-ago Series where both parks are still in existence is probably far more recent.

Posted by: Chris Graham at October 26, 2008 7:58 PM