November 4, 2008
POLITICS: Welcome Back, Carter

Well, we have our answer now: at this writing, it's pretty clear that Barack Obama has won the Presidency, bringing back the Carter Administration with a vengeance. Needless to say, I'll have a number of postmortem posts on this, but don't expect them all in one gulp, as there's a number of angles to approach here over the next several days and weeks.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:46 PM | Politics 2008 | Comments (33) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Only a complete idiot like yourself, Crank, would spout this garbage on such a night. Our long, national nightmare is over. The worst President in modern history will be unable to harm our country, our people, or anyone else in the world ANY MORE in a few months!

Your conjecture about Obama is unfounded and premature. But what IS sure is that the Bush years were foul. I suppose you are better off now than you were 8 years ago? And the country?

Quit your whining.

Posted by: slipsot at November 4, 2008 10:01 PM

Our long, national nightmare is over.

If only you knew the origin of that phrase, you would appreciate the irony of your comment.

Posted by: The Crank at November 4, 2008 10:05 PM

And tonight I become part of the loyal opposition. I stress loyal, for I refuse to follow the ill-mannered, ill-tempered and ill-considered example of so many liberals over the past 8 years. So, ahem, eloquently illustrated by slipsot.

I disagree with Obama on many fundamental issues, and I believe that the choice tonight is the wrong one for the country. However I remain deeply greatful that I live in a country where power can change hands without war or violence.

Tonight, thank the troops that help to provide the very freedom that we exercised today.

Posted by: Rory at November 4, 2008 10:08 PM

Uh, I knew where this phrase came from, you arrogant prick...

Posted by: slipsot at November 4, 2008 10:18 PM

The country rejoices. The world rejoices. The Bush reign of arrogance and incompetence is nearing an end, and the voters rightfully punished his party for his horrendous performance.

Rory I commend the call for respectful opposition -- but I sense a lot Republicans out there will be exploding a lot watermelons over the next 4-8 years. But with no base of power, such petty claims should have no effect (unlike in the late nineties when their ridiculous and distracting claims had such disasterous consequences).

Posted by: Patrick at November 4, 2008 10:20 PM

Patrick, Bush was not on the ticket, Bush is not going to be in Washington the next four years. You are going to have to defend your guy now, day in and day out, and yelling "Bush" isn't going to make his mistakes any easier to take. The nation's going to wake up on January 21 with a new president, and we sink or swim with him and him alone.

Posted by: The Crank at November 4, 2008 10:29 PM

Crank,

Ford made that statement upon taking over for our previous criminal President. I guess I'm in the slow class because I'm missing the irony. It seems wholly appropriate to me.

As for the wing-nuts, buh-bye.

Posted by: Magrooder at November 4, 2008 10:29 PM

The polls are wrong!!Haaaahaaaaahaaa! Liberals are oversampled! Haaaahaaahaaaa!! The utter face crush of tonight shows that the righty posters here are either WAY less smart than they think and/or WAY more desperate as they saw power gush away from them. Republican Party meet the Detroit Lions, LA Clippers and Baltimore Orioles. Sit on the side and let the adults run the show for awhile.

Posted by: jim at November 4, 2008 10:31 PM

The irony is, what I'm hearing here is people assuming that just being rid of the guy they disliked is enough to equal a victory to be proud of. But clearing away Nixon and his party gave us...Carter.

Posted by: The Crank at November 4, 2008 10:32 PM

Crank, with regard to Slipsot's rather ugly retort, you've never struck me as arrogant. Pass the beernuts.

Posted by: Mulledy4c at November 4, 2008 10:49 PM

This is what Mike, jim, macsonix, AstrosFan, Berto and all the rest of them, especially the loathsome Magrooder, wanted, and now they're going to get it - good and hard, every day.

Prepare to reap the whirlwind.

Posted by: mikeski at November 4, 2008 10:54 PM

Crank, right on stride you assume that we think this is about Bush. That is only what y'all think we think. We thought McCain and his nursemaid were a bad idea, losers and dangerous for this country irrespective of Bush. Their creepily close alignment with his massivle failed and deranged administration only drove home the point. We will finally have an administration that is at the least potentially competent whereas with your sorry ticket we had no chance of that. Time to man up and accept the fact that your party lies in shambles crushed for the time being under their own incompetence, greed, arrogance and lack of introspection. Keep it up. We look forward to years of y'all blaming your massive failures on others. Somehow your overwhelming defeat tonight must be Bill Clinton's fault, right?

Posted by: jim at November 4, 2008 11:16 PM

Being called loathsome here is like being on Nixon's enemies list.

Posted by: Magrooder at November 4, 2008 11:17 PM

jim,

Perhaps Crank was responding to Patrick's statement about "the Bush reign of arrogance." Also the constant claims this election about "McBush."

Posted by: DKH at November 4, 2008 11:25 PM

Give me a break. GWB was the worst president in our lifetime. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. He destroyed his political party. You should hate him for this.

Posted by: steve at November 4, 2008 11:28 PM

Jim, there's gonna be a big internal debate within the GOP about what went wrong the last four years and how to recover from it and avoid a repeat. I'm going to be a part of that debate and certainly don't intend to shrink from pointing fingers within the party where appropriate. You need to identify mistakes to fix them.

But my points are

1. Nothing the GOP did made the country deserve Obama.

2. Nothing you say about the GOP will make Obama any more qualified or competent at the job.

Democrats made the mistake in 1976 of assuming that electing not-Nixon was good enough. It wasn't. Not-Bush isn't going to fare any better.

Posted by: The Crank at November 4, 2008 11:29 PM

I am guessing that 4 yrs from tonight we will have unemployment and inflation in double digits.

Posted by: feeblemind at November 4, 2008 11:41 PM

This is almost as good as seeing Yankee fans after the 2004 ALCS. The increasingly hysterical (in all meanings of the word, Crank) bleats of the wing-nuts is really satisfying.

Posted by: Magrooder at November 4, 2008 11:44 PM

I don't think any old Not-Bush would inspire such enthusiasm and celebration not just in Grant Park, Chicago but probably all over the world. The man is an inspirational figure who ran a nearly flawless campaign -- defeating the Clinton machine and going onto reconfigure the entire electoral map (they just called FL for him). He has a lot of challenges ahead of him -- especially considering his mere 3.5 years of experience in the Senate. But I think he may be just what the world needs.

Posted by: Patrick at November 4, 2008 11:48 PM

Crank, I think your startng place is great. You, elgin Baylor and Matt Millen should all be very happy together.

Posted by: jim at November 5, 2008 12:02 AM

Crank, you just don't get it. The people have spoken. We are tired of the wedge issues and division politics. Now that your beloved GOP has been left in ruins by clinging to wedge issues. The issues you wing-nuts held dear are luxuries in down economic times. It will not be a "big internal debate" but a civil war for your political party. So, I would say you should join the rest of the nation in moving forward and repair the damage GWB and friends have done or ……..

Posted by: javaman at November 5, 2008 12:36 AM

javaman:

Quick question: could you please define "wedge issues" more explicitly?

Posted by: DKH at November 5, 2008 12:40 AM

pro-choice, gun control, gay marriage, drill baby drill, and patriotism to name a few. Basically any of Palin's catch phrases. As the late Clara Peller would say Where's the Beef?
GWB and Cheney treated this country like a Sailor with a bar fine on Olongopo Street for the last eight years.

Posted by: javaman at November 5, 2008 12:51 AM

Crank,
I understand Bush will no longer be President.
Bill Clinton wasn't President the last 8 years, but Conservatives still replied "yeah, but Clinton..." to every criticism of Bush (i.e. the worst President in the history of this nation...WAYYY worse than Carter*).

* for American citizens, if not his pals.

Posted by: Berto at November 5, 2008 3:58 AM

Magrooder,
I'm green with envy!

Posted by: Berto at November 5, 2008 4:00 AM

Don't underestimate the ability of the present administration to produce even greater fuck-ups in their remaining time in office.
From the WTC to Wall Street in 7 short years, if I were in NYC I'd be thinking about a 2&1/2 month vacation right about now.

Posted by: rs at November 5, 2008 8:02 AM

So you're blaming Bush for both 9/11 and blaming him wholly for the market collapse? That's simply delusional. If you want intellectual respect, you might rethink those delusions.

Posted by: per14 at November 5, 2008 8:28 AM

Here's Obama's biggest test (besides proving he has what it takes to keep up alive in a world crowded with enemies): can he stand up to the Fringe?

We've heard a lot in the past week about issues like:

Fairness Doctrine
Nationalizing 401(k)s
Government matches for 401(k)s for low and middle income earners
Partial birth abortion
Lowering the federal estate tax
Federal Government bailouts for state and local government

Frankly, I'm guessing a comfortable majority of Americans don't believe in these things. If the Fringe gets too agressive and tries to push these things through, whatever realignment they've supposedly gained will be gone, very quickly.

Posted by: per14 at November 5, 2008 8:34 AM

We will finally have an administration that is at the least potentially competent...

I know we hope they're competent and I understand the use of the word "potentially", but I've always wondered how you folks get the impression of competence. I don't think cpmpetence, in the Executive, is defined as voting "Present!"

And if you think his campaign is any indication, then why do you think McCain was such a lousy candidate? What does beating McBush by a few % indicate about competence?

I "hope", as you folks seem to but I can't tell you a single thing about Obama that leads me to "believe".

Posted by: spongeworthy at November 5, 2008 9:03 AM

Intellectual honesty doesn't seem to be the watchword of the Republican apologists that post here, and frankly, I'll sleep without your approbation.
I don't know where "wholly" appeared in my comment (although the Bush Administration are "wholly" responsible for the debacles in Iraq and Afghanistan), but you've got to have your head "wholly" up your (his?) ass to not recognize that the administration was asleep at the wheel on September 11, 2001 or that the collapse of the financial system was the result of the political and economic philosophies "wholly" embraced by this as well as previous administrations.

Posted by: rs at November 5, 2008 9:11 AM

Crank,

Let our leftward lurching companions gloat this day...to the victors, etc. As reality sets in during the coming months, there will be less and less cheering from the party of Hope and Change...and the resurrected Misery Index! Biden said that test is coming...I can't wait! Let's spread that wealth around, guys! At least now we're a post-racial country right? Ha! Any criticism of this administration will be forever held within the penumbra of racism.

I've got a World Series Championship to keep me warm for the next few months.

Posted by: Phils57 at November 5, 2008 9:58 AM

I think the funniest thing is how angry and bitter and spiteful some of you guys are in victory.

Posted by: Crank at November 5, 2008 9:59 AM

From what I've observed, liberals are always less happy and angrier than conservatives are, no matter the circumstances.

Posted by: per14 at November 5, 2008 10:53 AM