January 29, 2009
BASEBALL: For All The Cubs Fans

Feel the love:

His last pitch as a Met:

And, of course:

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:37 AM | Baseball 2009 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I like Heilman. Just not as a relief pitcher in important situations.

Posted by: Attila (Pillage Idiot) at January 29, 2009 11:27 AM

I wouldnt put it past Heilman to reinvent himself as a valuable mi rotation starter if given the chance. I'm not saying its a probability, but he's someone that Larussa and Duncan might be able to turn into gold, the k rate is still there. Mets fans are laying a lot of justifiable blame at his and the bullpen's feet, but really how hard could it have been to surround the offensive core of Wright, Reyes, and Beltran with more B level talent?

Posted by: seth soothsayer at January 29, 2009 2:15 PM

I AM saying that Heilman will come around and pitch well for the Mariners.

The job of baseball management is to get the work out of the talent you've been given, and the Mets' record in that regard is only fair, if that.

Posted by: DD at January 29, 2009 3:27 PM

Rationally speaking, Heilman could well prosper with the Cubs, as he's a talented pitcher and it's a change of scenery. Although given his gopher tendencies he'd have been better off in Safeco than Wrigley. But I couldn't resist venting a bit. I do wish him well.

Posted by: Crank at January 29, 2009 3:55 PM

Thanks, Crank. Just when I'd forgotten that that deal actually went down... I was already having trouble sleeping tonight.

I couldn't stand the deal. Olson was supposed to be a piece to at least try to get Jake Peavy. Aaron Heilman? Not Peavy.

Here's to another division title. Followed by at least one postseason win this time around...

Posted by: 94by50 at January 30, 2009 3:13 AM

Look, Heilman wasn't happy in his role, and I wish him luck, and hope he lands the starting job he wants. However, Heilman is the type of pitcher who gets by more on guile than stuff--live by the change, die by it, if that fastball or slider is slightly off. And I always thought hitters did better the second or third time around on him. Also, if you think he gave up a lot of homers at Shea, what will the Friendly Confines do to him?

Posted by: Daryl Rosenblatt at January 30, 2009 9:01 AM