June 13, 2009
BASEBALL: Subway Series Open Thread

Sorry, still don't have the heart to write about last night. Talk amongst yourselves.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:07 PM | Baseball 2009 | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

That was one wacky ending. Did he just lose it in the lights or something-he didn't look comfortable from the moment the ball left the bat.

Posted by: dch at June 13, 2009 1:57 PM

The Yanks didn't deserve that game last night, but after the Red Sox series, I'll take it. Like everyone else, I thought the game was over the minute the ball left A-Rod's bat.

I'll give some credit to Teixiera. I only expected to get one run out of the dropped ball.

Posted by: MVH at June 13, 2009 2:44 PM

How does Luis Castillo show his face at Citi after this? How does Manuel dare put him in the lineup? Castillo has, for the past couple of months, been on a kind of probation, if you will. The boos have died down, he's been playing fairly well, and it seemed as if as long as he continued on the straight and narrow for a while, the Met fans would eventually have made a separate peace with him.

No more. Whatever crimes he's committed in the past, this tops them all. The Met fan has been so out of whack mentally since the end of '07 that I actually think there is a non-trivial chance that someone runs on the field at Citi and tries to attack him the next time the Mets are home. Heck, it may happen at Yankee Stadium tonight or tomorrow.

Posted by: Thom at June 13, 2009 2:52 PM

I heard the name "Brant Brown" a lot today.

Posted by: Jerry at June 13, 2009 3:47 PM

Wow, Thom. I'm a pretty big Met fan and I knew nothing about our probation for Castillo. I always kind of liked the guy...

Did you hear him in the post-game? Christ, you had to feel for the guy. You must not be human, Thom. You must be perfect yourself.

Kidding aside, it's done. We came back and whacked them today amd Castillo was very good. Let it go.

Though I have to wonder why he wasn't legging it when Gardner slipped. He was loafing from !st with 2 outs. Cora also stood in the box and watched Damon catch his popup on the line. If I'm Manuel I am freaking out on these guy in the lockers.

Posted by: spongeworthy at June 13, 2009 7:54 PM

Shouldn't there be some kind of statistical differentiation so that K-Rod doesn't get saddled with a "blown save"? Doesn't really seem fair, you know?

Posted by: Linus at June 13, 2009 8:04 PM

Brant Brown? Ouch.

Posted by: Crank at June 13, 2009 9:44 PM

I have to give Castillo some credit for the fact that, although he was obviously upset about the error (and he'd be a dog if he wasn't), he came back and played a pretty good game today. And winning a Fernando Nieve-Andy Pettitte matchup does go a long way towards softening the blow. If Santana can hold up his end of the deal tomorrow, it could still be a decent series.

Posted by: Jerry at June 13, 2009 10:45 PM

I loved the way A-Rod was treated as a hero for his pop-up.

Posted by: Magrooder at June 13, 2009 11:25 PM

Um, what' going on with Santana?

He's the guy who I figured would be rock solid all year. All of sudden, he's been bad the last month or so.

If something's wrong with Johann, we're even more screwed than normal.

Posted by: A.S. at June 15, 2009 10:27 AM