July 10, 2009
BASEBALL: Just This Once

Cool list of things that have only been done once in baseball history. H/T Some of these are familiar, others less so, and of course a few of them are gags or gimmicks.

You could make a longer list. Offhand, the obvious one to add would be Ed Reulbach in 1908 being the only guy ever to throw shutouts on both ends of a doubleheader (with bonus points for doing it in September of one of the game's most heated pennant races).

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:37 PM | Baseball 2009 | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Crank,

Reulbach was the only one to throw a doubleheader shutout? Huh, I thought Iron Man Joe McGinnity did it as well. Not sure how to research that further.

Posted by: largebill at July 10, 2009 2:36 PM

Tatis hitting two grand slams in the same inning off the same pitcher strikes me as exceptionally unlikely to be dupicated. Talk about a pitcher being in the doghouse :)

Posted by: Jerry at July 10, 2009 8:53 PM

It's unfair to cite to the minor leagues, because then there would be a LOT of "only been done once's". However, I think it should be worth noting what I think is the most impressive feat ever. Wonderful Monds hit a solo homer, two-run homer, three-run homer and grand slam in one game. I played against him in AA and he's a good dude, too!

Posted by: john at July 11, 2009 12:45 AM

The Mets just traded for the least productive regular of the previous year. I'll bet that's never been done before.

Posted by: Walter Guest at July 11, 2009 4:54 AM

I was at the game where Tatis hit two GS's in the same inning. It was very exciting. I was 12. McGwire didn't do much as I recall, but Tatis more than made up for it. JD Drew hit a homerun as well, which made my little brother Drew happy. Fun game.

Posted by: kdh2011 at July 11, 2009 5:16 PM

john, that's pretty damned impressive. In fact, it's both wonderful and terrific.

Posted by: Crank at July 11, 2009 7:40 PM

I thought that Rickey Henderson had been caught stealing four times by Bob Boone in a game in 1982--turned out it was only three. Still quite a day for Boone against a guy in the process of shattering the single season stolen base record.

Posted by: M. Scott Eiland at July 12, 2009 4:49 PM